Monday, January 3, 2011

Resolved

Each year I make resolutions for the new year. And each year I break at least one of my resolutions before January 1 is over. This year I broke the resolution to eat no sweets by mid-afternoon the first day.

My human will power is almost nonexistent at times. In the past I have thought of my inability to keep a New Year resolution as a weakness of will and maybe it is. But more than likely I cannot follow through with my good intentions because I have been trying to achieve in my human power and not achieve as the Holy Spirit directs when I rely totally on his infinite strength.

The one resolution that I thought was in the will of the Holy Spirit was to write a blog post every day. I even had a plan which I thought had been given me by the Holy Spirit. I had toyed with several ideas but kept coming back to writing something about the chapter in Proverbs I am reading during my quiet devotional time. God has been actively teaching me through this study of Proverbs. But the first-day post did not happen. When it did not happen, I started to doubt the plan and direction of the Holy Spirit. I prayed. I reflected. And I had to confess my sin of procrastination to God. Then I could change my “I thought” comments to “I know” convictions.

So as long as God directs, I will be posting daily from my nightly scripture readings. Currently I am reading and meditating in Proverbs. What a rich book in biblical principles it is! God instructs us to follow his commands and explains many of them in Proverbs.

“ My son, do not forget my teaching, but keep my commands in your heart,” Proverbs 3:1 NIV

Lord, as I study Proverbs and as I reflect what you teach me, may my words and actions perfectly reflect your will.

No comments:

Post a Comment