Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Five Kernels of Corn

The way we portray the original Thanksgiving feast is excessively glorified. The plight of early European settlers on the Atlantic shores of what eventually became the United States was very dire. They suffered greatly from the elements, lack of food, illness, and many other dangers. It doesn’t take much delving into history to realize the desperate circumstances the early pilgrims often faced. They had every reason to be in the depths of depression; however, I prefer to think some were thankful for what they did have.

This poem is based on a passage from The Light and the Glory by Marshall and Manuel. The pilgrims were suffering from illness and lack of food. The winter raged and many had died. At this very desperate time there was only enough food for each person to have five kernels of corn.

Five Kernels of Corn

Five kernels to eat--no more to have.

To gripe and complain--no good it will claim.


Five kernels to eat. I so want much more.

The gloom inside, it is killing my pride.


Five kernels to eat--grateful to have.

At least I have these, nothing else to please.


Five kernels to eat. Thankfulness is due.

I’ll savor the taste--without any haste.


First kernel goes fast--so hungry, so small.

I’m thankful for food. Lord, you are so good.


Second kernel quickly gone. My family eats too.

Their love I can feel. Lord, blessings are real.


Third kernel slowly chewed. Our shelter protects.

No raging cold inside. Lord, in warmth I abide.


Fourth kernel to savor. I still have my life.

To live for God’s glory. Lord, this is your story.


Fifth kernel—the last. It soon too is gone.

Thankful for blessings--salvation and living.


"Give thanks in all circumstances, for this is God's will for you in Christ Jesus." 1 Thessalonians 5:18 NIV

No comments:

Post a Comment