Sunday, November 20, 2011

Need Church?

I did not think I needed church. It was amazing I even considered not sleeping in on Sunday morning and drinking several cups of coffee as I leisurely read the comics in the Sunday edition of the Wichita Eagle-Beacon. Making myself look good to others was the only reason I first attended the Benton United Methodist Church (as it was known then). I had taken the job of principal at the grade school, and I wanted positive exposure in the community. I wanted to meet people and to demonstrate that I was interested in the town. Little did I understand at that time, the decision to attend church with this congregation was God-directed and life-changing.

Even though I grew up in the church and accepted Jesus as my savior during childhood, my early adult years were not exactly exemplary. Yes I was a “good” person by society’s standards, but I was not attending church regularly, reading my Bible, or even praying except when my circumstances became difficult. I had no time for such things. I was busy living my life, having a fulfilling career, and watching out for my personal interests. My motivation for church attendance in Benton fit perfectly with my professional goals for community exposure. I had no intension of joining the church or of even becoming involved. I must admit that I felt I was far too busy educating children to participate in any of the church programs. However, God had plans for my life.
Over time our somewhat sporadic church attendance became more regular and important to Ray and me although we both remained very reserved in our participation. One week I started feeling an extreme dissatisfaction and an unusual need to talk with one of the ladies in the church. One evening I called the choir director to see if she would respond to a couple of religious questions. She did not answer the phone which I took as an omen that my religious convictions needed no enlightenment from anyone. However, God had created unrest in my heart which could not be extinguished.

The next Sunday as everyone was chatting and filing out of the sanctuary, I felt an irresistible urge to talk with the choir director immediately. This was very strange as we had probably not exchanged a dozen words during the previous months, and I had crossed her off my list of possible ladies to talk with about religion since she had not answered her phone when I called. I had to hunt her down and the words which came out of my mouth requesting a meeting were not what I had planned to say. She listened and proposed a time we could meet later that week. I will never forget that first meeting in her basement. It was the beginning of my spiritual growth. God had placed me in the hands of a person knowledgeable in how to study scripture. She taught me how to pray in ways and at a depth that I did not think possible. She nudged me into joining the church and becoming actively involved in church governance and ministry. I learned the difference between being religious and having a strong spiritual life through worshipping God. God worked a miracle in my life as a result of her skillful spiritual mentoring.
I have two questions. First, is God creating unrest in your heart? Is he telling you it is time for you to learn more about him? Ask God for a spiritual mentor. Our church has several strong Christian men and women who would joyfully and gently lead you into a closer relationship with our Lord.
Second, if you are strong spiritually, has God placed a person on your heart? Is God moving you toward mentoring a less mature Christian? Are you actively looking for someone you can encourage to grow in faith? Let the Holy Spirit work through you.

Dear children, let us not love with words or tongue but with actions and in truth. 1 John 3:18 NIV

The Spiritual Journey of Sandy Taylor as recorded by Sandee

1 comment:

  1. What an awesome testimony, Sandy. Thanks for sharing your journey!

    ReplyDelete