Tuesday, November 22, 2011

It's Not About Weight!

“I am so glad you are here today.”

“Come sit with us.”

The genuinely warm greetings from Phyllis Umscheid, Allison Patton, and others worked. This friendliness is one of the reasons Jarod and Aubrey Pirtle were persuaded to continue attending TBC after their initial visit.

It is somewhat odd that they visited a TBC church service because the Pirtles did not know many Benton people. Aubrey had been encouraged to visit TBC by a good friend who is an active member of another church. Because Pam Hendrix’s teenage son enjoyed the TBC contemporary-style service, Pam thought Aubrey and Jarod would also. Pam was sure the Pirtle children, Cameron and Raegan, would fit into the children’s ministries.

They had not been attending The Benton Church very long when an Alpha Bible Study group was formed, and the Pirtles become involved. They started developing friendships with other couples who had children and were seeking to learn more about Jesus. Then a new Alpha Bible Study group formed. This time, instead of participating, they became part of the leadership team by volunteering to lead the children. Aubrey and Jarod grew in their faith as they prepared Bible lessons and activities for the children. They loved getting to know them and their parents as they interacted on Alpha nights.

However, there was one major problem in Aubrey’s life—her weight. The stresses of life, pregnancies, and a thyroid problem had resulted in her becoming overweight. She had tried several times to lose the weight. Nothing worked. But now she needed to lose a large amount of weight fairly quickly for health reasons. Aubrey investigated weight loss programs. One sounded promising, but it was too expensive for her budget. She mentioned her frustration to a church friend hoping only to find empathy. Aubrey found much more.

Noreen Templin quietly talked to some of Aubrey’s church friends. A plan was born. A fund was created. A group of church people started to regularly contribute money to pay for the cost of Aubrey’s weekly appointment at the weight loss clinic. Aubrey is amazed the fund always had ample money to cover the fee. Church friends have supported her in numerous and unexpected ways. For example, Holly Crawford prepared special food for her any time there was a church function where food was served. Aubrey is so deeply grateful for the love demonstrated by her church friends. With tears of gratitude Aubrey laments that she cannot thank all the people involved because she has no idea who they all are.

Aubrey’s tells her weight-loss story best.

I came to the realization that I was idolizing food about a year ago. Many times I had tried to lose weight with no success. I have to admit that it’s mostly because I have very little willpower, and ultimately I was not completely giving it to God. I am going to the Medi Weight Loss Clinic. They discovered that I have hypothyroidism and insulin resistance. It has been amazing to learn that my weight problem is not just because of my eating habits.

After a couple of months of denying the support that was offered and praying, my husband and a dear friend explained some things to me. All the while Jesus was showing me all the ways that losing weight could happen, but each time I was telling him that’s not how I wanted my prayer answered. At one point Susan Griem asked me, “Aubrey, how can you deny this blessing from your friends?” That’s when it started making sense to me. God was there knocking at the door, asking me to let him in the whole time.

Aubrey insists the telling of her weight-loss story is not about her. It is about her Lord and Savior. Aubrey says, “This journey is not about having a beautiful body or being able to wear cute clothes. It is about my past history of giving in to sin. It’s about tearing down the walls that sin creates and becoming closer to my Savior. I want to live my life for my Savior.”

This story is not just about Aubrey. It is about how her church friends lovingly serve others without expecting recognition. It is about how God works through others to bless us.

“…I tell you the truth, if you have faith as small as a mustard seed, you can say to this mountain, 'Move from here to there' and it will move. Nothing will be impossible for you.” Matthew 17:20 NIV

The Spiritual Journey of Aubrey Pirtle as recorded by Sandee

1 comment: