Sunday, March 13, 2011

Grumble Grumble

Okay, the last post was a bit grumbly. I admit it. I’ve been a bit blue and frustrated lately. I have no excuse for my attitude. Even when I am most dissatisfied, deep down I know how blessed I am. So I have decided to purposefully try changing my attitude by focusing on things for which I am thankful.

“Be joyful always; pray continually; give thanks in all circumstances, for this is God's will for you in Christ Jesus.” 1 Thessalonians 5:16-18 NIV

I sat down at my computer and started my "thankful list."

  • Plenty of good, healthy food
  • Electricity
  • Running water
  • Sanitary living conditions
  • A car which runs well and gets good gas mileage
  • A husband who loves me (Sorry honey, I should have put this first.)
  • Being raised by Godly parents in a loving home
  • Computers
  • Cell phones
  • Safe neighborhood
  • Stable income
  • A body which functions reasonably well
  • Flowers, trees, and green grass
  • Being able to worship without fear
  • Christian friends who encourage me
  • Family who enjoy family gatherings
  • Beautiful Kansas sunrises and sunsets
  • Fresh homemade bread
  • Books to read for enjoyment and information
  • My Bible

This is a random list of things made as they popped into my head. My list making was interrupted too quickly by the necessity of tending to items which needed to be removed from the oven for lunch. The blessing is, even though I had quit writing down things for which I am thankful, my brain continued to generate a list.

So the remedy for being a bit grumbly and dissatisfied is to make a list of things for which I am thankful—a simple and effective cure.

Lord, thank you for loving me enough to instruct me about how to cure my negative tendencies by focusing on the blessings you have given me in this earthly life. Most of all thank you for salvation and the opportunity to serve you.

No comments:

Post a Comment