Monday, March 7, 2011

Wrong Chapter

Have you ever worked diligently to complete something but realized after you were “done” that you had been striving over the wrong thing. That happened to me early today.

This morning I sat down with a cup of coffee and my laptop for some uninterrupted time of Bible study. I attend Bible Study Fellowship. Tonight the discussion and lecture are over Isaiah Chapter 49. My intent was to complete homiletics for this chapter. But that did not happen. I did homiletics for the last half of Isaiah Chapter 54. I did not realize I was studying five chapters ahead of where I thought I was. How can that happen? How did I respond to the “waste” of my precious time caused by carelessness on my part?

First of all, for those of you who do not know about Bible Study Fellowship International (BSF), it is the best Bible study available. BSF is worth the time and effort to go through its eight courses of study. Biblical truths are taught in such a way, if you participate in completing the lessons and attending class, you will become very knowledgeable about the whole Bible and how to live a Christian life. God works through BSF. If you want more information about a class close to you, visit BSF International .

Homiletics is a fancy word for a systematic, in-depth method of studying a passage of scripture. BSF classes teach how to do homiletics. BSF discussion leaders and administrative staff volunteers do it in preparation for training and discussion. Homiletics, as taught by BSF, involves carefully examining what a passage of scripture says, dividing the passage into topic areas, stating in very concise terms what is said, stating the aim of the whole passage, and writing questions for applying the lesson to life. I have found that when I take the time to let God lead me through this process, I actually quit looking at a passage as boring or irrelevant to me. The Bible takes on a vibrant relevancy to my life.

Now back to my mistake. As I was completing the examination of the content of the verses using a word processor and Bible software on my computer, I had a question which for me is easier to decipher when looking at a printed page. So I opened my Bible to discover Chapter 49 did not say what I had been studying!

Wasted time? Anger over my mistake? No. I was blessed by the study of the last half of Chapter 54. I feel reassured and closer to God. I had been struggling with Chapter 49 and will go back to it at another time. But today, God knew I needed his encouragement found in a different passage.

…”’no weapon forged against you will prevail, and you will refute every tongue that accuses you. This is the heritage of the servants of the Lord, and this is their vindication from me,’ declares the Lord.” Isaiah 54:17 NIV

So what did I learn? In the future when I find I have made a mistake, I need to seek God’s desire for my response. What attitude should I have? What action is God leading me to take? This morning God orchestrated my error so he could bless me early this morning. I serve an amazing God.

“’Though the mountains be shaken and the hills be removed, yet my unfailing love for you will not be shaken nor my covenant of peace be removed,’ says the Lord, who has compassion on you.” Isaiah 54:10 NIV

Lord, thank you for your direction and encouragement. Create in me a desire to see you in everything even if it is not what I had planned.

No comments:

Post a Comment