Monday, March 28, 2011

Serious Stuff

Too often I am too nonchalant about my Christianity. I take it for granted. I fail to appreciate God’s grace, mercy, and blessings. I fail to see the strength, power, and majesty of God. My little world filed with my individual issues consumes me. I am so self-absorbed that I can hardly see past my personal space.

During my morning quiet time today, I was deeply convicted by a verse I memorized several years ago but have only meditated on in a superficial manner. Today, God revealed to me the magnitude of his love for me and the seriousness of my sin through this verse.

We all, like sheep, have gone astray, each of us has turned to his own way; and the Lord has laid on him the iniquity of us all. Isaiah 53:6 NIV

I have gone astray. I have failed to worship and praise God as he deserves. I have been lax in adhering to his commands. It doesn’t matter that my sins seem normal and inconsequential by the world’s standards. It is still my sin. If I am so stubborn, head-strong, and rebellious, why would God have Jesus suffer ALL of the punishment for MY sins? Amazing. Humbling.

So if I truly understand the magnitude of what Jesus did for me as he suffered and died on the cross, my life will not be so self-centered. God must reign in my life—NOT ME.

Lord, forgive my lack of appreciation for you and your plan for salvation. Through the power of the Holy Spirit draw me closer to you moment by moment.

No comments:

Post a Comment