Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Immortal

I live my life as if I am immortal. I plan on living a healthy, active life for at least another thirty years, and I act as if I will live forever. Numerous projects wait to be started someday. Numerous things I want to experience are waiting for the right date. Now there is nothing wrong with doing many of these things now. I just have not gotten around to them. I cannot get organized.

I am not living an intentional life. I am letting myself live my life without thought or purpose. I respond to the urgent present needs, not considering what is best. But is this acceptable for a Christian? I seem to remember some verses commanding Christians to place God first in their lives.

Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind and with all your strength.” Mark 12:30 NIV

So we are to intentionally live one hundred percent for God. Does that mean I have to be a professional minister, missionary, or the like? Do not believe that for a second. God never said we all are to do the same things for him.

"It was he who gave some to be apostles, some to be prophets, some to be evangelists, and some to be pastors and teachers, to prepare God's people for works of service, so that the body of Christ may be built up." Ephesians 4:11-12 NIV

But how are we to go about living our lives so that we can perform acts of service?

"Our people must learn to devote themselves to doing what is good, in order that they may provide for daily necessities and not live unproductive lives." Titus 3:14 NIV

So we are to be productive. It seems to me that to be productive I must be organized so I know where things are and what I have available to use. This is the part that has been convicting me lately. I looked in my file cabinet, which was supposed to have all my business stuff neatly categorized. Items that should have been discarded ten years ago were prevalent. I looked at a bedroom closet downstairs which had become a catch-all center. Wall-to-wall clutter. Unmanageable.

So I am trying to get organized. The out-dated items are being removed from the file cabinet. The closet was completely emptied. There were items I had forgotten I owned, items which were duplicates because I did not know where they were stored, items which needed thrown or given away because they were no longer of use to me, and some very useful items that were neglected because I couldn’t easily find them when they were needed. That walk-in closet is now orderly although I still have a mound sitting in the middle of the family room floor to go through. At least I have started putting some order into one area of my life which is hampering me from living a productive, intentional life.

So I am trying to live an intentional life which is organized so I can be productive for my Lord and Savior.

Lord, give me the strength to overcome my procrastination as I de-clutter my life. May this process draw me closer to you as I realize how much you have blessed me.

No comments:

Post a Comment