Thursday, March 10, 2011

Yo-Yo

Why can't things just be simple and satisfying. Just when I seem to be getting settled emotionally, spiritually, or experientially something happens to dishevel me. It seems like I am a yo-yo. My life starts to settle into a satisfying routine then someone does something unexpected or gets sick and the routine is in ruin. When I emotionally start feeling level after an incident which was unsettling, invariably someone says of does something which either opens up an old wound or inflicts a new one. My prayer and Bible study life is going well when the time just disappears. Often it is because I decide it will be more convenient to spend time with God after while. Then "after while" never arrives because there is another interference.

Two possible sources cause the yo-yo effect to work in my life. Satan and God. Some of you will say that I should also include my sin nature as a source. My sin nature is the reason for my sinful reactions and attitudes. But my reaction is not what I am addressing. I want to know the cause. What are the circumstances which cause the upheaval to happen? Can I control them? That is my question.

This is what I know. Satan and his demons are always throwing darts at me. Sometimes I can artfully dodge them but too often they painfully hit me. Sometimes God allows the challenge for my better good. Maybe I have become too self-reliant, too proud, too self-directed. God lets me know I have strayed.

My life was starting to run along smoothly. Then two weeks ago two unrelated things happened to set my emotions into overdrive. This week two unrelated issues cropped up and played havoc with my plans.

So how should I respond? I want to be in control. But what should my attitude be? I want to sulk and nurse the injustice of having anything or anyone disrupt my life. I know my attitude is wrong. I need wisdom from God's word. Paul, one of my favorite biblical persons, faced many trials so I searched his teaching.

"To keep me from becoming conceited because of these surpassingly great revelations, there was given me a thorn in my flesh, a messenger of Satan, to torment me. Three times I pleaded with the Lord to take it away from me. But he said to me, 'My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.' Therefore I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses, so that Christ's power may rest on me. That is why, for Christ's sake, I delight in weaknesses, in insults, in hardships, in persecutions, in difficulties. For when I am weak, then I am strong." 2 Corinthians 12:7-10 NIV

So my attitude should be one of gratitude to my God instead of selfish sulking or trying to gain control. Truly God has blessed me in so many ways. I should be focusing on what is right instead of what I think is wrong or unfair.

Lord, forgive my sin of sulking out of self-pity. Through the power of the Holy Spirit give me the desire to have an attitude of continual praise and thanksgiving.

No comments:

Post a Comment