Saturday, April 16, 2011

Friendly Fire

This is one of the greatest battles women of faith experience according to Grace Hardy, the keynote speaker at Women in the Battle Ladies Retreat. And I whole-heartedly agree. Friendly fire from other Christians can cause immense emotional injury and sometimes result in tragic casualties--friendships forever lost.

David addresses the issue of friendly fire. He was betrayed and wisely instructs us about how to endure betrayal.

"But it is you, a man like myself, my companion, my close friend, with whom I once enjoyed sweet fellowship as we walked with the throng at the house of God...My companion attacks his friends; he violates his covenant...Cast your cares on the Lord and he will sustain you; he will never let the righteous fall." Psalm 55:13-14, 20, 22 NIV

Biblical wisdom literature addresses this issue also. What are we to do when we are the cause of the hurt?

"If you have been trapped by what you said, ensnared by the words of your mouth, then do this, my son, to free yourself, since you have fallen into your neighbor's hands: Go and humble yourself; press your plea with your neighbor!" Proverbs 6:2-3 NIV

I am not for sure I like this. It is hard to soothe the hurt feelings of another when I am still hurting. When the other person is not receptive or purposely continues to hurt me, it causes the emotional wound to become a gaping hole. However, I must admit that seldom am I totally innocent. With that in mind I need to make sincere apologies when I have responded to a hurt inappropriately. I also must make amends when my thoughtlessness injures another. Tough, tough, tough.

Either I will handle friendly fire the world's way or God's way. The important thing is that I do what is right in God's sight. If I do that he will bring me through the hurt and give me peace. I know that, but it is still hard to humble myself to respond correctly. It is so much easier to nurse my hurts, rehearse my well-justified response, and build my coalition team. However, gossiping and back-biting are sin.

God's word is very clear about how we are to address wrong.

"Do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good." Romans 12:21 NIV

So it is important for the Christian to be an offense preventer by avoiding idle talk, forgiving, not being easily offended, and working to stop friendly fire.

"If it is possible, as far as it depends on you, live at peace with everyone." Romans 12:18 NIV

Lord, give me the wisdom to know when my actions or words might cause injury. Keep me from being the cause of friendly fire.

No comments:

Post a Comment