Monday, April 4, 2011

Storms

"Storms come and go where they will. Some bring damage but rebuilding rises up. Sometimes scars remain but there is always a chance for new life. We have shelter but we keep going out and looking around. He's saying why won't you stay in My house where I will protect you. Sometimes I feel like I am drawn to the lightening . . . . and yet He calls me to the calm and the quiet where He can speak to me."

This is a quote sent by a friend last evening. This friend occassionally will text short uplifing messages to several of her friends and probably family members too. I have no idea where she finds these gems or who penned the inspirational message above. Nevertheless, I love the thoughtfullness and love these messages imply.

The first two sentences of this quote reminded me of how human relationships work. Storms come and go. I do not know of any deep friendship which has not had its ups and downs. The storms may take us by surprise but often we can see them coming. Sometimes the damage from unkind words and thoughtless actions is devasting and sometimes minimal. Often the minimal damage continues over a period of time, an irritation just under the surface. But when thunderstorms erupt, they inflict huge wounds. Hopefully healing occurs, but often ugly scars remain. New growth in a friendship can take place if both persons forgive perceived offenses. Even if the other person refuses to reconcile, it is healing to forgive. Scars from past battles should not be used as reminders of hurts but as reminders of mistakes we made. Relationship storms are never totally one-sided. They are lessons learned about our own failures, pride, self-direction, and need to rely on our Lord and Savior--not people--for significance.

"It is better to take refuge in the Lord than to trust in man." Psalm 118:8 NIV

God always provides protection and calm for his repentant children.

"'Though the mountains be shaken and the hills be removed, yet my unfailing love for you will not be shaken nor my covenant of peace be removed,' says the Lord, who has compassion on you.'" Isaiah 54:10 NIV

"Peace I leave with you; my peace I give you. I do not give to you as the world gives. Do not let your hearts be troubled and do not be afraid." John 14:27 NIV

So I am to seek God as my source of value for he will give me peace that no human can.

Lord, thank you for your unfailing love and the calming peace that only you can give. Please heal past hurts. Through the power of the Holy Spirit make me sensitive to both the spiritual, physical, and emotional needs of those whom I encounter today and in the future.

1 comment:

  1. Tks Sandy. The words are from the Comforter. Blessings to you this day...........

    ReplyDelete