Thursday, April 7, 2011

Generosity

Do I have it? Let's examine the evidence.

If we are talking about money, I do tithe. I help support missions. I give sproadically to ministries which have helped me in my spiritual life. I helped a niece out of a tight spot. Some money has been given to encourage various young people in their productive endeavors. So I think I am doing as well or better than the average person.

If we are talking about time, I do a lot of volunteer work in my church. Let me correct that. I have done volunteer work in the past. Right now I am very restricted with trying to meet my mother's needs and caring for my mother-in-law who is living with us. But I do try to be generous with my time as much as possible.

If we are talking about friendship, I try to be friendly and encouraging. I am afraid this is an area where I am not as generous as I think I am. Self-deception and self-protection make this hard for me to evaluate. I do want to be friendly and encouraging to others. Does my desire count?

"Remember this: Whoever sows sparingly will also reap sparingly, and whoever sows generously will also reap generously. Each man should give what he has decided in his heart to give, not reluctantly or under compulsion, for God loves a cheerful giver. And God is able to make all grace abound to you, so that in all things at all times, having all that you need, you will abound in every good work." 2 Corinthians 9:6-8 NIV

Sounds like God actually expects me to act on my good intentions.

"No servant can serve two masters. Either he will hate the one and love the other, or he will be devoted to the one and despise the other. You cannot serve both God and Money." Luke 16:13 NIV

That is very clear. My intentions are not good enough. Through my intentions I deceive myself. I think I am good, thoughtful, and generous when really I am selfish and unwilling to put out the extra effort required to actually be generous.

"'Though the mountains be shaken and the hills be removed, yet my unfailing love for you will not be shaken nor my covenant of peace be removed,' says the Lord, who has compassion on you." Isaiah 54:10 NIV

So how dare I not be generous? My God is generous beyond all I can ask or imagine.

Lord, through the power of the Holy Spirit living in me, make it clear to me when I am being selfish. Show me how to be generous as you would have me be generous in all areas of my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment