Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Pray for What?

Recently I challenged myself to pay careful attention to what I pray. It did not take very long for me to realize that my prayers are very self-centered. Now there is nothing wrong with praying for what is important to me and praying for the situations I will face today or in the near future. But I soon realized that my prayers for others, my prayers for spiritual growth, and my prayers for witnessing were minimal.

I admire Paul. He gave up success and prestige to preach Christ. He was greatly persecuted yet did not turn away from Jesus Christ. To help me get a better understanding of how to pray, I looked at some of the passages written by this remarkable apostle.

Paul prayed for the spiritual growth of his friends and colleagues.

"I pray also that the eyes of your heart may be enlightened in order that you may know the hope to which he has called you, the riches of his glorious inheritance in the saints, and his incomparably great power for us who believe." Eph 1:18-19a NIV

"I pray that out of his glorious riches he may strengthen you with power through his Spirit in your inner being, so that Christ may dwell in your hearts through faith. And I pray that you, being rooted and established in love, may have power, together with all the saints, to grasp how wide and long and high and deep is the love of Christ, and to know this love that surpasses knowledge — that you may be filled to the measure of all the fullness of God." Eph 3:16-19 NIV

Paul desired for others to pray for his witness for Jesus Christ.

"Pray also for me, that whenever I open my mouth, words may be given me so that I will fearlessly make known the mystery of the gospel, for which I am an ambassador in chains. Pray that I may declare it fearlessly, as I should." Eph 6:19-20 NIV

"And pray for us, too, that God may open a door for our message, so that we may proclaim the mystery of Christ, for which I am in chains." Col 4:3-4 NIV

Various times Paul teaches that the Christian is to be thankful in all situations, but he also talks about being thankful as we pray.

"Devote yourselves to prayer, being watchful and thankful." Col 4:2 NIV

Although Paul must have prayed for his current physical and economic needs, they were not the major topic of his prayers. He was more concerned with others learning about the saving grace of believing in Jesus Christ as Savior.

So my prayers should focus more on the salvation of others, the spiritual growth of other Christians, and my witness not only to the unsaved but also to fellow Christians.

Lord forgive me for my selfish, shallow prayers. I want to grow spiritually so that I may pray sincerely for not only my current concerns but also for the spiritual growth of myself and others.

No comments:

Post a Comment