Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Happiness Is...

At BSF last night, Cindy answered one of the discussion questions with a comment about what brings true contentment. That comment triggered a string of thoughts about what makes me happy.

Happiness is...
...a new car
...moving into my dream home
...getting hired for the once-in-a-lifetime job
...a Caribbean cruise
...buying beautiful new clothes
...going out to eat

Wrong. Wrong. Wrong. This list is superficial. It makes me sound very self-centered.

"Do not store up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy, and where thieves break in and steal. But store up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where moth and rust do not destroy, and where thieves do not break in and steal." Matthew 6:19-20 NIV

Okay. Let's try this again without the materialism.

Happiness is...
...spending the day with one of my nieces
...enjoying time with friends
...receiving a thoughtful gift from my husband
...hearing Mom say she loves me
...sitting on the deck marveling at a beautiful sunrise while the birds sing
...singing hymns and praise songs at church

This list is surely what should bring me happiness. It has more depth because it involves relationships and beauty. But I sense this list still is a bit off. The source of true happiness is missing.

"To the man who pleases him, God gives wisdom, knowledge and happiness," Ecclesiastes 2:26a NIV

So true happiness is...
...an intimate relationship with God.

"'Though the mountains be shaken and the hills be removed, yet my unfailing love for you will not be shaken nor my covenant of peace be removed,'says the Lord, who has compassion on you." Isaiah 54:10 NIV

A close relationship with God is the only lasting source of true contentment and happiness for his love is stronger than anything we can imagine. God is the only source of true peace.

So have you thought recently about what makes you happy? Is your happiness based on worldly things or on what will last forever. Do you praise, serve, love, and commit every moment of every day to God?

Lord, forgive my shallowness. Draw me closer to you. Through the power of the Holy Spirit living in me, make me recognize when I am putting too much importance on the temporary and not enough on things everlasting.

No comments:

Post a Comment