Saturday, April 16, 2011

Identity Crisis

If a stranger sees you shopping at Wal-Mart, Kohl's, or the grocery story, would that person identify you as a Christian? Could the stranger tell by your clothing, actions, and words that you proclaim Christianity as your religion and Jesus Christ as your Savior? This was a challenge giving to us by Grace Hardy, the keynote speaker at the Women in the Battle Ladies Retreat. Provocative thought.

We all take note of the people around us when in a public setting. If we don't, we should. It is unsafe to not take note of others in our vicinity. But that is generally all that I do--check them out to see if they appear safe. After hearing Grace Hardy speak, I have started to look, really look, at the people I encounter at Wal-Mart and in other public locations. Now I know it is not right to pass judgment on a person's spirituality based on a quick superficial assessment. However, as I observe them, I have started to wonder about their assessment of me. Do they perceive that I profess Christianity--being not of the world but only in the world?

What should be the observable characteristics of a Christian?

1. Self-control--Are my behaviors controlled and appropriate for the situation?

"A fool gives full vent to his anger, but a wise man keeps himself under control." Proverbs 29:11 NIV
"Discretion will protect you, and understanding will guard you." Proverbs 2:11 NIV

2. Husband lover--Do I speak well of my husband and honor him by not inviting flirtatious conversations?

"Her husband has full confidence in her and lacks nothing of value. She brings him good, not harm, all the days of her life. Proverbs 31:11-12 NIV

3. Quiet and gentle spirit--Do people notice me for my gentle confidence or my overt attention getting behavior?

"Your beauty should not come from outward adornment...Instead, it should be that of your inner self, the unfading beauty of a gentle and quiet spirit, which is of great worth in God's sight." 1 Peter 3:3a,4 NIV

4. Modest--Does my clothing display good taste without tightly forming to my figure or showing too much flesh?

"I also want women to dress modestly, with decency and propriety." 1 Timothy 2:9a NIV

5. Neat--Who wants to emulate someone with a disheveled appearance?

"For I am not seeking my own good but the good of many, so that they may be saved. Follow my example, as I follow the example of Christ." 1 Corinthians 10:33b-11:1 NIV

So do people see my Christianity as an act or as real? Do they see my Christianity at all?

"Now this is our boast: Our conscience testifies that we have conducted ourselves in the world, and especially in our relations with you, in the holiness and sincerity that are from God. We have done so not according to worldly wisdom but according to God's grace." 2 Corinthians 1:12-13 NIV

Lord, not only on the good days but even on the days when things do not go well, make my Christianity obvious and desirable to those who notice me as I go about my daily tasks in the public arena.

No comments:

Post a Comment