Monday, April 11, 2011

Women in the Battle

An army helicopter, military jeep, and camo painted pickup truck decorated the front lawn. Men dressed in camo greeted me and told me where to park and where to go. I walked in the building to see military paraphernalia in the halls, the restrooms, and the auditorium. I could hardly believe that I was walking into a church, but I was. The stage had been well set for the theme of the ladies retreat--Women in the Battle.

The military theme was creatively carried out through a huge mural of a bunker on the wall behind the pulpit, eating in the mess hall for lunch, and camo back packs for our supplies. But I did not go to this event because of the theme. I only attended because my mother wanted me to take her. The theme did not peak my interest until I experienced the details of the extensive makeover of the building decor and the opening ceremony.

The patriotic atmosphere made me proud of our military. Bulletin boards were filled with pictures of members of the church who had served or were currently serving in the military. A retired commander and two active military personnel presented the colors and lead the Pledge of Allegiance. The national anthem was awe inspiring as the packed auditorium sang with pride in our country.

I expected the speakers to talk about the armor of God as it is presented in Ephesians 6. Boy was I wrong. The first speaker, Amy Paget, talked about the battle for joy. Now that was a new concept for me--battling for joy. But it really is a battle. When something doesn't go exactly as I have planned, I tend to be anything but joyful.

"Be joyful in hope, patient in affliction, faithful in prayer." Romans 12:12 NIV

This verse summarizes Amy's testimony. She asked, "If you are not joyful, why would anyone want to be a Christian?" Now that is a pretty good question. Later the keynote speaker,Grace Hardy, challenged us to look like Christians. She asked in words similar to these, "If someone saw you in Wal-Mart, would they know you are a Christian by the way you act, by the way you dress, and by the expression on your face?"

As Amy was closing her presentation, she quoted these verses.

"Be joyful always; pray continually; give thanks in all circumstances, for this is God's will for you in Christ Jesus." 1 Thessalonians 5:16-18 NIV

So how are you doing in the battle of being a joyful Christian in all circumstances?

Lord, show me when I am not letting your joy show through my actions and attitudes. Through the power of the Holy Spirit change me into a continuously joyful Christian.

1 comment:

  1. This one got me too! It was a great weekend, and I'm so glad I got to spend the time away with friends & family!

    ReplyDelete