Monday, June 14, 2010

It's My Own Fault

Pastor is preaching a series of sermons about signs and symbols of Christianity. During the first sermon of the series, he showed a clip from the movie Signs that I cannot get out of my mind. In the movie the character keeps asking God for a sign while he is repeatedly being given signs. He did not recognize and respond to the signs he was presented.

Unfortunately, I am like that. I have a set of expectations of what type of sign God will give me and when he will give it to me. I spend too much time and energy trying to get God to conform to my ideas instead of looking for and recognizing God’s communication to me. As a result, God has to get my attention through discipline, and it is generally unpleasant. It would be better to open my eyes and mind to his signs.

“Lord, they came to you in their distress; when you disciplined them, they could barely whisper a prayer. As a woman with child and about to give birth writhes and cries out in her pain, so were we in your presence, O Lord.” Isaiah 26:16-17 NIV

Unfortunately God gives us painful lessons because we refuse to see the messages--the signs--he has clearly placed in our lives.

So what is the answer?

“Through thick and thin, keep your hearts at attention, in adoration before Christ, your Master. Be ready to speak up and tell anyone who asks why you're living the way you are, and always with the utmost courtesy.” 1 Peter 3:15 THE MESSAGE

We are to keep our focus on Jesus no matter what the human circumstances are. Only then will we recognize the signs he is giving us.

Lord through the power of the Holy Spirit, may I always recognize your signs and “never tire of doing what is right” (2 Thessalonians 3:13) in your eyes.

No comments:

Post a Comment