Wednesday, June 23, 2010

A Long Dry Spell

It seems like forever since I last sat down to write for this blog. Lately by the time I have completed my tasks for the day, my mind is mush. So writing anything coherent was not a possibility. I used to write first thing in the morning, but since my mother-in-law has come to live with us, that is no longer a possibility because of schedules and care responsibilities.

Even if I had the time to write when my mind was alert, I would not have been able to do so. I have had no ideas. Now that is a bit unusual as I can almost always find several life application ideas while studying my Bible during my daily quiet time. But lately the ideas just did not come. If an inspiration presented itself, it quickly evaporated to oblivion.

It has been a long dry spell. Why? I am sure God is leading me to write this blog. He has confirmed this to me several times in a variety of ways. So why is God leaving me cold, uninspired, without ideas, unable to put spiritual practices and principles into coherent passages?

“…And surely I am with you always, to the very end of the age." Matthew 28:20b NIV

If Jesus said he would be with me, he has been with me. But my mind was experiencing a dry spell. I had nothing to say in the blog. I lacked inspiration. Why was my mind so blank?


“…Jesus stood and said in a loud voice, ‘If anyone is thirsty, let him come to me and drink. Whoever believes in me, as the Scripture has said, streams of living water will flow from within him.’" John 7:37a-38 NIV

So according to the Bible, I must be thirsty for Jesus. Because of the pressing life issues, I have been going through the motions of praying and Bible study. If I am to know the words God wants me to say, I must thirst for Jesus. I must strongly desire him and seek him.

Lord, forgive my recent lack of focus on you. Through the power of the Holy Spirit, in the future make me aware when I start to lose focus and draw me back into close communion with you.

No comments:

Post a Comment