Monday, June 28, 2010

Prosperity--You've Got to Be Kidding

The prosperity gospel preachers are wrong. Have they not read how God’s prophets were treated in the Old Testament? Have they not studied the life and death of Jesus? Have they not read any of Paul’s writings?

“Five times I received from the Jews the forty lashes minus one. Three times I was beaten with rods, once I was stoned, three times I was shipwrecked, I spent a night and a day in the open sea, I have been constantly on the move. I have been in danger from rivers, in danger from bandits, in danger from my own countrymen, in danger from Gentiles; in danger in the city, in danger in the country, in danger at sea; and in danger from false brothers. I have labored and toiled and have often gone without sleep; I have known hunger and thirst and have often gone without food; I have been cold and naked." 2 Corinthians 11:24-27 NIV

If a spiritual giant like Paul suffered so severely, how can I expect my life in Christ to be without any struggles? God never promised leading a life devoted to him on earth would be easy or pleasurable. Jesus did say, however, that he will give us joy, peace, and strength.

“I have told you this so that my joy may be in you and that your joy may be complete.” John 15:11 NIV

“Peace I leave with you; my peace I give you. I do not give to you as the world gives. Do not let your hearts be troubled and do not be afraid.” John 14:27 NIV

"I can do everything through him who gives me strength." Philippians 4:13 NIV

It is so hard and so threatening to witness for Jesus. What if they make fun of me? What if it ends up costing me money? What if others think I am weird? What if I will miss out on some fun? What if …?

So what should my attitude be when it comes to witnessing to others about my Lord and Savior? My goal is to be more like that great apostle Paul.

“So do not be ashamed to testify about our Lord, or ashamed of me his prisoner. But join with me in suffering for the gospel…" 2 Timothy 1:8 NIV

Lord, give me the words, timing, and actions to make me an effective and bold witness for you. Create in me the willingness to confidently testify with and provide encouragement for Christian friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment