Wednesday, June 30, 2010

What Do You Think?

I have been thinking today. I have felt sorry for myself, believed I should have been given credit for doing a good job, desired some words of appreciation for my extra effort, nursed hurt feelings, and become angry at a person who had been unkind to me several years back. Why should I even think about a long ago hurtful event? Sadly it only took a few minutes for my mind to race through this range of sinful thinking.

I am convinced that not keeping a tight rein on their thought lives is the downfall of many good people. Allowing a sinful thought to become a regular visitor to your mind means that in the near future that thought will take up permanent residence in your brain. Once it takes up residence, it will outgrow your thought life and become a part of your visible life. You will act on the sinful thoughts.

“We demolish arguments and every pretension that sets itself up against the knowledge of God, and we take captive every thought to make it obedient to Christ.” 2 Corinthians 10:5 NIV

So we are to control our thoughts.

“Therefore, since we are surrounded by such a great cloud of witnesses, let us throw off everything that hinders and the sin that so easily entangles, and let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us.” Hebrews 12:1-2 NIV

So we are to rid ourselves of sin, not just in our visible, physical actions, but also our thoughts. What a challenge. We cannot control our thought life without the strength and wisdom from the Holy Spirit. Pray today for God to reveal to you areas of sin in your thoughts before they manifest themselves in your behaviors.

Lord, make me aware of sinful thoughts. Through the power of the Holy Spirit eradicate them so that every thought may be obedient to Christ.

No comments:

Post a Comment