Sunday, September 5, 2010

Bruised--Not Broken

“The righteous cry out, and the Lord hears them; he delivers them from all their troubles. The Lord is close to the brokenhearted and saves those who are crushed in spirit. Psalm 34:17-18 NIV

What reassurance! David was in a very dangerous situation when he wrote Psalm 34 yet he knew that God was with him and protecting him. Therefore, in my everyday experiences I can be assured God is close to me any time I am experiencing problems.

John Wesley’s life verse was Isaiah 42:3. This verse talks about a bruised reed. It is bruised but not broken. This is symbolic of our past sin. When we sin, God will let us experience the natural consequences for the sin and he will restore us.

"A bruised reed He will not break and a dimly burning wick He will not extinguish; He will faithfully bring forth justice.” Isaiah 42:3 NASU

God does not want us to focus on past problems. Yes, we are to learn from our life experiences, but we are not to live today looking at yesterday. God wants to lead us to the next thing. He prepares us for our future service to him.

"Behold, the former things have come to pass, now I declare new things; before they spring forth I proclaim them to you." Isaiah 42:9 NASU

We get busy and tend to go from one task or event to the next. We are so busy doing the next thing. But all of our doing does not please God. He desires for us to pay very close attention to him.

“Which of you will listen to this or pay close attention in time to come?” Isa 42:23 NIV

How can we dare to not concentrate on God’s will for us?

“I, even I, am the Lord, and apart from me there is no savior.” Isa 43:11 NIV

So we are to be very attentive to what God is doing today. God can and does accomplish the impossible.

"Forget the former things; do not dwell on the past. See, I am doing a new thing! Now it springs up; do you not perceive it? I am making a way in the desert and streams in the wasteland.” Isaiah 43:18-19 NIV

Lord, create in me a heart of forgiveness—to forgive persons who intentionally hurt me, to forgive persons who unintentionally hurt me, and to forgive myself. Give me the desire to hear you and to focus on what you have for me to do to serve you today.

No comments:

Post a Comment