Sunday, September 19, 2010

Okay. Okay.

Okay! Okay! I admit my rebellion against God. Yes I am a good person, but I do know I sin once in a while. In action or thought, I do break a commandment on occasion.

“For the Lord your God detests anyone who does these things, anyone who deals dishonestly.” Deuteronomy 25:16 NIV

However, I must admit, I am rife with selfish and defiant attitudes. I like to have things my way, and I like to be in control. I am not so different from millions of others.

“The Lord detests all the proud of heart. Be sure of this: They will not go unpunished.” Proverbs 16:5 NIV

Whoa! Does this mean my self-confident, I can-do attitude is sin? Am I wrong to take pride in my accomplishments and talents?

"God opposes the proud but gives grace to the humble." James 4:6b NIV

According to Scripture, these attitudes are sin. And sin is sin. It makes no difference how many people engage in similar behaviors. God loathes all sin. In Isaiah he warned the Jews that he would no longer tolerate their attitude of disregard for his commands.

“I will turn my hand against you; I will thoroughly purge away your dross and remove all your impurities.” Isaiah 1:25 NIV

God acted like a loving parent who punishes misbehavior because it is the only way to mold the child into a well-behaved, productive person. Isaiah was prophesying the words God gave him. He was stating that the sin of God’s people would be punished for the purpose of removing that sin. He was saving his people from the ravages of a life lived reveling in sin--a life of rebellion toward him.

So what rebellious sin do you need to eradicate from your life? Are you going to wait until God purges you? That is always an unpleasant experience as all effective punishment is. Or are you going to confess your sin and ask God to give you the power to be pure in his sight?

Lord, show me the sin you want me to eliminate today. Give me the power to overcome whatever it is about that sin that makes it attractive to me. Make me hate that sin with the intensity that you hate it. Teach me how to replace my sinful behavior with God-honoring actions and thoughts.

No comments:

Post a Comment