Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Sugar Coating

“Do not turn aside from any of the commands I give you today, to the right or to the left, following other gods and serving them.” Deuteronomy 28:14 NIV

One thing I love about the Word of God is that God tells me clearly and repeatedly what he expects from me. In multiple places it is stated that I am to have no other gods. God Almighty is to be the most important influence in my life. I am to worship only him. But do I?

For much of my Christian life, I interpreted putting God first as making sure I went to church, attended a Bible study, and read my Bible on a somewhat regular basis. I was not worshipping any graven image so I did not believe I was worshipping an idol. Yes, I put my career on a pedestal and I wanted people to discern from my appearance and possessions that I was a success. But isn’t that normal for young adults—even Christian adults? I now realize my attitude was wrong. My career and possessions were idols. With that realization, I thought I had removed all idols from my life. Wrong.

Each time I take a step in spiritual growth, I detect another step for which I was unaware of its existence. I recently discovered that I have not eradicated the sin of idolatry. My current idolatrous sin item is relying on mankind instead of God. When I have a problem, to whom do I go—my husband, a friend, a self-help book--anyone who will listen? What an insult to God!

“Stop trusting in man, who has but a breath in his nostrils. Of what account is he?” Isaiah 2:22 NIV

God created and has control over everything. Yet I do not pray about my problems before I discuss them with a human being. God has given me a Christian family, and I am to use them to guide and help me. However, they are not to be my first source of counsel. Sadly, I do not even pray about my problems before I have rationalized and worked out solutions I find acceptable. I usually do not seek God’s instruction manual—the Bible. No wonder God expresses anger at my sin.

“If in spite of this you still do not listen to me but continue to be hostile toward me, then in my anger I will be hostile toward you, and I myself will punish you for your sins seven times over.” Leviticus 26:27-28 NIV

When I pretend at being a good Christian, but in my heart and actions spurn God, he is right in covering his ears when I just go through the motions of praying. My heart is not sincere because I have sought the counsel of others and have already made up my mind for a course of action before I ask God to bless my decision. I have placed my wisdom above the guidance of God. That is the sin of self-idolatry. God does not candy coat what he says about such sin.

“When you spread out your hands in prayer, I will hide my eyes from you; even if you offer many prayers, I will not listen. Your hands are full of blood; wash and make yourselves clean. Take your evil deeds out of my sight! Stop doing wrong, learn to do right!” Isaiah 1:15-17a NIV

So I must stop my sin of self-idolatry and learn to do right by seeking God’s advice at the outset.

Lord, please forgive my unwillingness to put you first in every aspect of my life. Through the power of the Holy Spirit, make me recognize when I commit the sin of idolatry and give me the ability to eradicate it from my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment