Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Clean Cup or Dirty Cup

I am not a recreational shopper. When I shop, I errand shop. I have a list of items to buy and a list of places where I will stop on that shopping trip. I do not have a problem with people who like to comparison shop or shop for new trendy ideas. It is something I rarely do because I enjoy other activities more. It is fun though to car shop. Driving a new car is a pleasure. Discovering the controls and new features is an adventure. The new car smell with the clean interior and the polished exterior are pure pleasure.

Jesus says our interiors should be as showroom ready as we make our exteriors. We go to great lengths to keep our outer selves clean and looking great. We shop for just the right outfit and take much time fiddling with hair, nails, and makeup. But how much time do we spend on our inner appearance? What is the condition of our hearts and minds?

"Woe to you, teachers of the law and Pharisees, you hypocrites! You clean the outside of the cup and dish, but inside they are full of greed and self-indulgence. Blind Pharisee! First clean the inside of the cup and dish, and then the outside also will be clean.” Matthew 23:25-26 NIV

That was stated plainly. Jesus was talking to the religious people of biblical times. They spent time looking good to their contemporaries, but their hearts were not pleasing to God. Jesus repeats his warning. Whenever something is repeated in the Bible, it is a sign that we are to take it seriously.

"Woe to you, teachers of the law and Pharisees, you hypocrites! You are like whitewashed tombs, which look beautiful on the outside but on the inside are full of dead men's bones and everything unclean. In the same way, on the outside you appear to people as righteous but on the inside you are full of hypocrisy and wickedness.” Matthew 23:27-28 NIV

Jesus did not mince his words. We are to be clean on the inside. What we allow into our brains matters. What we think about matters.

“But the things that come out of the mouth come from the heart, and these make a man 'unclean.' For out of the heart come evil thoughts, murder, adultery, sexual immorality, theft, false testimony, slander. These are what make a man 'unclean'..." Matthew 15:18-20 NIV

As a Christian I like to think of myself as having a pristine, clean heart. If that is the case, then why do I say things that I later regret? Why do I say negative things about others? Why do I say things in anger? Why do I not correct a statement which is true except I chose to delete a little unimportant detail? Why do I watch a movie or television show which promotes immoral sexual behavior with the justification that I can handle it?

So we need to examine our inner selves. How clean are we, really?

Lord, show me the dirty spots in my heart and mind. Through the power of the Holy Spirit, make me clean.

No comments:

Post a Comment