Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Shut Up

As a child, I almost never was quiet. I always had something to say. My poor teachers must have been very frustrated trying to get me to be quiet and do my lessons. I remember in sixth grade I made a deal with my teacher to not talk.

In those days the teachers monitored the lunchroom and made sure we ate our lunches. One day we had soup beans with cornbread and spinach. Even though I like all three now, as a child I detested that whole meal. I refused to eat. I was not allowed to go to the playground until I ate at least half the food on my tray. I loved playing tetherball and was missing out on the noon recess competition, but I was not going to eat that meal. Not only was I a talkative child, but I was also very stubborn. I was not going to eat that meal no matter how much I wanted to play tetherball. Finally I made a deal with my teacher. If I would be allowed to go to the playground, I promised I would not speak during study time for one week. The teacher seemed quite pleased with the possibility of not having to remind me to be still.

That was one tough week. I did fairly well, but it was a struggle. I must confess that my friends and I did manage to develop a sign language communication system which I thought was fine since I wasn’t verbalizing.

As a Christian I still have the childhood characteristic of not controlling my speech like I should. This is especially true of my communication with God. Too often I am so busy talking at God that I do not hear what he has to say to me.

"Be still, and know that I am God;” Psalm 46:10a NIV

Too often I just jump into a prayer with my current concerns and list of requests. Then because I have delivered my issues to God, I close the prayer and go about my daily tasks. Nowhere is there any allowance for God to speak to me—to work in my heart. I am too busy verbalizing to sense God’s presence much less to discern his will.

Peter, a rather verbal apostle, often responded in a similar fashion. One such time was during the Transfiguration on the Mount of Olives. He witnessed the glorified Jesus, Moses, and Elijah talking. Rather than absorbing what was being said and the magnitude of the situation, Peter started talking. What he said was nonsensical for the situation.

“Peter said to Jesus, ‘Lord, it is good for us to be here. If you wish, I will put up three shelters — one for you, one for Moses and one for Elijah.’" Matthew 17:4 NIV

Why would Peter offer to build a shelter for two dead guys and Jesus whose “face shone like the sun, and his clothes became as white as the light” (Matthew 17:2 NIV)? He should have been on his knees worshipping his Savior instead of talking. God took care of the situation.

“While he was still speaking, a bright cloud enveloped them, and a voice from the cloud said, ‘This is my Son, whom I love; with him I am well pleased. Listen to him!’" Matthew 17:5 NIV

In other words God was saying, “Peter, BE QUIET. Recognize the honor of witnessing this event. Humbly worship your Savior. When Jesus speaks, you are to pay very close attention to what he says. More than that, you are to do what Jesus says.”

So during my prayer and Bible study, I must spend some time being quiet before my God and experience his presence.

Lord, create in me the desire to be still before you as I daily seek your will.

No comments:

Post a Comment