Friday, August 13, 2010

Inside Out

I am always trying to improve things I have control over. I look for a better way to do my jobs, less expensive options, methods requiring less energy, and even new techniques. Researching ideas through reading, asking questions, and experimentation are a natural part of my life. Learning keeps life from being boring, and it gives me a sense of purpose. I set goals using the knowledge I gain. Sometimes I am successful at meeting my goals. Sometimes I am not. Generally the level of success is directly related to what I have gained internally--knowledge.

My Christian walk follows somewhat the same pattern. I love researching what God has to tell me in His Word. I read, meditate, and ask questions. I set spiritual goals. Sometimes I am successful and sometimes I am not. My success is directly related to my internal condition. Is my heart right?

For my heart to be right I have to have knowledge which I get through reading, meditating, and memorizing Scripture. But that is not enough. I must be willing to change. I don’t mean the superficial “I know I need to” willing to change. It has to be a heartfelt desire to please God in all I do.

“So I went down to the potter's house, and I saw him working at the wheel. But the pot he was shaping from the clay was marred in his hands; so the potter formed it into another pot, shaping it as seemed best to him.” Jeremiah 18:3-4 NIV

My Christian life is marred--the pot is not perfect. The good news is that God can mold my heart because he is the master potter. He can make me a perfect vessel for serving Him. This reformation must happen at the heart level before it can happen in actions and words.

"…’Like clay in the hand of the potter, so are you in my hand,’…” Jeremiah 18:6 NIV

So, if I want the abundant Christian life, I must be willing to give up status quo and embrace changes God is calling me to make.

Lord, mold me into a useful vessel for your service. Thank you for the assurance and promise in 2 Peter.

“His divine power has given us everything we need for life and godliness through our knowledge of him who called us by his own glory and goodness. Through these he has given us his very great and precious promises, so that through them you may participate in the divine nature and escape the corruption in the world caused by evil desires.” 2 Peter 1:3-4 NIV

No comments:

Post a Comment