Saturday, August 7, 2010

Scratching at Scabs

Dry, itchy, flaky skin is one of the hazards of growing old. My mother-in-law is constantly and unconsciously scratching. Hand lotion helps but does not cure the problem. Special itch lotions help but don’t stop the scratching. Anti-itch creams on the irritated areas do not stop the scratching. Is the scratching habit or truly an itch? It is probably both.

How do we stop the incessant scratching? Verbal reminders work for the moment if she is awake; however, the worst scratching is done at night in her sleep. Creams are applied before going to bed and even during the night as appropriate.

What is the big deal? Scratching on fragile elderly skin leads to skin tears. Skin tears lead to bleeding. Bleeding leads to scabs. Scabs lead to more irritation and scratching. The cycle goes on.

My irritations and scabs are not of the skin type, but I have them anyway. A thoughtless comment or action hurts my feelings. I am irritated. I pick at the irritation by not forgiving and choosing to nurse my hurt feelings. The wound will eventually stop bleeding because I get busy and forget to be hurt. Then we have a chance encounter and my mind starts picking at the scab. Before long it is bleeding again. The cycle of a broken relationship is born. I rationalize my behavior and choose to not forgive.

“All of us have become like one who is unclean, and all our righteous acts are like filthy rags; we all shrivel up like a leaf, and like the wind our sins sweep us away.” Isaiah 64:6 NIV

So even my good actions do not meet up to God's standards. My sin of unforgiveness and the resulting break in relationship must really be like extremely, unmentionably filthy rags. As long as I choose to pick at the scab of someone else’s thoughtlessness, my witness for Jesus is compromised for he commanded us to love others.

“ Jesus replied: 'Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind.' This is the first and greatest commandment. And the second is like it: 'Love your neighbor as yourself.'” Matthew 22:37-39 NIV

So by selfishly choosing to put myself before God and others by not forgiving, I sin.

Lord, teach me to forgive. Convict me when I start to fall into the selfishness of picking at the irritating scab caused by another’s actions.

No comments:

Post a Comment