Monday, August 9, 2010

Pity Party

“My tears have been my food day and night,…” Psalm 42:3a NIV

Sometimes nothing goes right (as I want). Everyone else seems to have all the luck (get what I want). Life isn’t fair (true). I never get a break (not true).

I had a pity party tonight. I had two wonderful vacations planned for this summer and did not get to take either one. Instead, my summer has been one of hard work and major lifestyle adjustments.

“I say to God my Rock, ‘Why have you forgotten me?’...” Psalm 42:9a NIV

I am doing what God has commanded for me to do. I am honoring my husband and his mother. That is more than most modern women do (slight exaggeration). Shouldn’t I be rewarded for doing what is right?

My pity party was all about me. It was selfish and prideful. But it was very real. The emotions were strong and the frustrations intense. I am most vulnerable when I am tired and things have not gone as smoothly as normal. The trigger for the pity party this time was not having enough time to complete what I had hoped to do today. I need a break and a good night’s sleep. However, often these periods of feeling sorry for myself may be triggered by witnessing the “perfect life” of another or by hearing someone talking about a wonderful experience. Is that jealousy? What an ugly sin jealousy is! Jealousy, pride, selfishness--the causes of a pity party are totally negative.

"Why are you downcast, O my soul? Why so disturbed within me? Put your hope in God, for I will yet praise him, my Savior and my God." Psalm 42:11 NIV

So I am to praise God when I am downcast. This verse reminds me of one of the hymns we sang when I was a child.

Count Your Blessings
When upon life’s billows you are tempest tossed,
When you are discouraged, thinking all is lost,
Count your many blessings, name them one by one,
And it will surprise you what the Lord hath done.
Refrain
Count your blessings, name them one by one,
Count your blessings, see what God hath done!
Count your blessings, name them one by one,
And it will surprise you what the Lord hath done.

So when I am having a pity party, count my blessings.

Lord, thank you for all you have done for me and those I love. Make me a encouragement to all with whom I come in contact today.

No comments:

Post a Comment