Sunday, August 29, 2010

Step By Step

Sometimes I feel like I am the slowest learner in God’s creation. I keep making the same mistakes. Not that I want to. It just seems that my flesh takes over, and I lose my common sense. More accurately, I sin.

I’d like to say I only have the problem of sinning when I am tired, sick, stressed, or rushed; however, that is not the case. I suddenly find myself in a behavior I know is not pleasing to God. Lately I’ve been watching for a pattern of when I seem to be most susceptible to sinning. Of course there are different triggers for different types of sin, but the Holy Spirit is giving me insight into my weaknesses.

I do not like to think of myself as a prideful person; nevertheless, pride seems to be the culprit in many of my sinful behaviors. If you give me the impression that you do not like my idea, respect my opinion, or appreciate my efforts, I am likely to respond in a manner that is not pleasing to God. I may stay in control at some level while in your presence (an improvement), but my attitude and thoughts will not be where they should be until I humbly turn this current sin over to God.

It was somewhat encouraging to me to realize that I am not unique in my inability to control my human impulses. There are numerous examples in the Bible. That is one of the things I love about God’s Word. The people are real. They have real problems and real failures.

“And without faith it is impossible to please God, because anyone who comes to him must believe that he exists and that he rewards those who earnestly seek him.” Hebrews 11:6 NIV

The Scriptures truly are an instruction manual for how others have failed, how God wants us to respond, and how God will punish the unrepentant sinner. Even with all our sinfulness, God will forgive, bless, and restore those who earnestly seek him.

"I have much more to say to you, more than you can now bear.” John 16:12 NIV

God knows we cannot absorb all we need to know and resolve all our sins easily. Our finite minds do not comprehend our level of sin. However, he will teach us what we are able to absorb at any one time. Jesus’ disciples did not get much of what Jesus presented to them until he sent the Holy Spirit.

“And I will ask the Father, and he will give you another Counselor to be with you forever—the Spirit of truth. The world cannot accept him, because it neither sees him nor knows him. But you know him, for he lives with you and will be in you.” John 14:16-17 NIV

So, believers must willingly seek instruction from the Holy Spirit.

Lord, thank you for the Holy Spirit. I humbly beg for recognition of my sin and the ability to resist the temptation to sin.

No comments:

Post a Comment