Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Tyrants

Whatever your sin is, is your tyrant. It controls you.

Says who? I chose to do what I want to do. Nothing rules me. I live a good life, and what I do does not hurt anyone. I am much better than most people. I don’t break any laws except I do speed some. Nothing controls me but me. How dare you even suggest that I am not in total command of me!

Not too long ago I would have responded like this to the original comment. It was not that I did not sin. I did. I just did not recognize the seriousness of the sin in my life. I was like the rich man that sought out Jesus.

“A certain ruler asked him, ‘Good teacher, what must I do to inherit eternal life?’” Luke 18:18 NIV

In the conversation between Jesus and this man, the rich man asserts that he has followed all of the commandments since he was a boy. In other words, he was saying that he was a very good person. He was expecting Jesus to recognize his goodness and to affirm that he would be given eternal life based on that goodness. Jesus did not give the rich man the answer he wanted because Jesus knew the man’s heart.

“When Jesus heard this, he said to him, ‘You still lack one thing. Sell everything you have and give to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven. Then come, follow me.’"
Luke 18:22 NIV

Jesus recognized the man’s tyrant. His sin was the love of his money and all that it would buy. The Bible does not say there is anything wrong with being rich. Abraham, Joseph, David, and Solomon were all very wealthy. God loved and blessed them. It was not the money which was the problem. It was the rich man’s attitude about money.

“Command those who are rich in this present world not to be arrogant nor to put their hope in wealth, which is so uncertain, but to put their hope in God, who richly provides us with everything for our enjoyment.” 1 Timothy 6:17 NIV

So what sin is controlling you? My most troubling tyrants are submission and self-direction. I recognize my sins, but they will not relinquish control of me. I am in a constant battle with these powerful tyrants. But I know that through the power of the Holy Spirit they can be conquered.

“Now to him who is able to do immeasurably more than all we ask or imagine, according to his power that is at work within us, to him be glory in the church and in Christ Jesus throughout all generations, for ever and ever! Amen.” Ephesians 3:20-21 NIV

Lord, take control of all areas of my life. Make me submissive to you.

No comments:

Post a Comment