Monday, August 2, 2010

What's on Your Mind?

What’s on your mind? Is it the normal worldly things or is it things which would please God? Honestly now. What is on your mind?

I could sanctimoniously answer that question by saying “Things pleasing to God” without feeling a twinge of guilt. Oh, but my emotions tell me a different story. My emotions are a barometer of what is happening in my head. I justify and rationalize my behaviors to the point I can say my mind is thinking about good and godly things when in fact I am not. Well, I am once in a while, but the predominate thoughts in my brain are about me—what I want, how someone else should treat me, how good or bad a particular outfit will make me look to others, how much weight I need to loose, how well I treated an acquaintance last week, how generous I was when…

I have no control over others. Their thoughts and behaviors may be influenced by my actions or words. But I dominate no one’s thoughts and actions. They make their own choices. Likewise I make my choices.

I choose on what my mind will concentrate. My emotions, actions, and words reflect those choices. Candidly my mind is too often focused on me and not God. Because my basic human nature is sinful, my mind can entertain unpleasant and evil thoughts especially when I perceive that I have been treated unfairly or been slighted.

“But for those who are self-seeking and who reject the truth and follow evil, there will be wrath and anger.” Romans 2:8 NIV

So I must monitor my thought life and eradicate the self-seeking thoughts. Who said living a life pleasing to God would be easy? They were wrong. I struggled today as I wanted desperately to wallow in self-pity but knew that my thoughts were ones I should eradicate by asking for forgiveness and praising my merciful Lord. Many examples in scripture exhort us to take our minds off of self and to focus on others.

“Do not let any unwholesome talk come out of your mouths, but only what is helpful for building others up according to their needs, that it may benefit those who listen. And do not grieve the Holy Spirit of God, with whom you were sealed for the day of redemption. Get rid of all bitterness, rage and anger, brawling and slander, along with every form of malice. Be kind and compassionate to one another, forgiving each other, just as in Christ God forgave you.” Ephesians 4:29-32 NIV

Like most women I want to look attractive, and there is nothing wrong with that as long as the motivation is right. Is the real reason that I want to be thought of as sexy? Be thought of as wealthy? Be thought of as socially elite? What is the real reason for my attire?

“I also want women to dress modestly, with decency and propriety…” 1 Timothy 2:9a

For out of my mouth and through my actions, I display what I allow my mind to mull over throughout the day.

Lord, through the power of the Holy Spirit, give me control over my thought life. Make every thought, every reflection, every deliberation, and every plan pleasing to you.

No comments:

Post a Comment