Sunday, August 1, 2010

Doing It My Way

“Doing it my way” is as American as apple pie and baseball. The spirit of individual initiative is part of the reason our country is so great. But is “doing it my way” pleasing to God?

“Let the wicked forsake his way and the evil man his thoughts. Let him turn to the Lord, and he will have mercy on him, and to our God, for he will freely pardon.” Isaiah 55:7 NIV

In this verse, God’s people are the ones being referred to as wicked and evil because they had turned from God. They were proceeding with their plans. In this passage they are commanded to return to the Lord and his plan for them.

So it is safe to assume this means do as God says and not as I want. Let’s look at the very next verse.

"’For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways,’ declares the Lord.” Isaiah 55:8 NIV

So there is no way I can please God and “do it my way.” I must do as God directs. That is the hard part. If my ways are so very different from God’s ways, how am I to know what to do? In the first six verses of Isaiah 55, we are told to “Come…Listen…Seek the Lord.”

"As the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways and my thoughts than your thoughts.” Isaiah 55:9 NIV

The Bible is God’s Word. It is how God speaks to us. If we come to Scripture, listen to what it is saying, and seek the Lord through meditation and prayer, God will reveal himself to us.

“… my word that goes out from my mouth: It will not return to me empty, but will accomplish what I desire and achieve the purpose for which I sent it.” Isaiah 55:11 NIV

Lord, show me how to do it your way. Through the power of the Holy Spirit make me acutely aware when I veer from your action plan for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment