Saturday, July 31, 2010

Grumble, Grumble, Gripe, Gripe

Doesn’t anyone appreciate what I do? Why doesn’t someone offer to help? It wouldn’t hurt him to do his part. No one ever does me a favor. I’m an educated professional, and they expect me to do that? Why doesn’t she … ? I can’t believe they …

I have caught myself too often making similar comments. Last week was a special challenge. These types of comments were readily flowing out of my mouth. Now I had legitimate reasons. I felt they were justified. But my gripes were not acceptable. We as Christians have no excuse. If we are striving to be “Jesus with skin on,” such comments should be abhorrent to us.

“Consider it pure joy, my brothers, whenever you face trials of many kinds, because you know that the testing of your faith develops perseverance. Perseverance must finish its work so that you may be mature and complete, not lacking anything.” James 1:2-4 NIV

Yes it is easy to fall into the self-centered comments when we are exhausted and feel overburdened because of the present set of circumstances. We become frustrated when others do not recognize our efforts to do what is right or acknowledge our selfless servant behaviors. It is humanly understandable. But…

“His divine power has given us everything we need for life and godliness through our knowledge of him who called us by his own glory and goodness.” 2 Peter 1:3 NIV

So why are we grumbling? We are listening to Satan guiding us to prideful and sinful ways of thinking and behaving. Grumbling certainly does not originate with God! He abhors our sin. God knows and wants us to recognize that when we are busy complaining, we cannot be serving him. God may be calling us to action, and we will miss the opportunity because of self-pity. How sad. We missed something that might affect someone eternally because we were childishly focusing on a selfish temper fit. Handled rightly, each frustrating situation is a chance to carry out God’s calling—a chance to glorify him.

“See, I have refined you, though not as silver; I have tested you in the furnace of affliction.” Isaiah 48:10 NIV

Let’s take a moment to be honest with ourselves by thoughtfully answering these questions.
1. What do I spend time thinking about? Me or God?
2. Do I focus on my problems or God’s promise?
3. Are my thoughts about my current situation or what God has called me to do at this moment?
4. Do I look to self for solutions or do I look to God?
5. Do others recognize I am a committed Christian?

“Teach us to number our days aright, that we may gain a heart of wisdom.” Psalm 90:12 NIV

Grumbling happens when we are unhappy about the behavior of others. However, I am not in control of anyone except me. I am not responsible for the choices made by others. My responsibility is to follow God’s instruction manual—the Bible. It tells me that I am to be meek, humble, serve, witness, and give thanks.

“ give thanks in all circumstances, for this is God's will for you in Christ Jesus.” 1 Thessalonians 5:18 NIV

Lord, forgive my selfish grumbling. Make me receptive to opportunities to glorify you in each and every circumstance I experience today.

No comments:

Post a Comment