Friday, July 9, 2010

Blessings

We took my mother-in-law to physical therapy today. While watching the therapists work with people of all ages who have widely ranging mobility problems, I started reflecting on how blessed I am.

I AM BLESSED because I have good mobility. I have good balance. My feet and legs work well enough to easily take a walk unassisted and to climb stairs. My hands and arms work normally and have enough strength and dexterity to garden or crochet a delicate doily.

I AM BLESSED because I have ears that perform well. I can hear conversation, enjoy beautiful music, and recognize noises signaling danger.

I AM BLESSED because my body systems function normally. I can easily eat with my natural teeth. My digestive tract and circulatory systems function as God intends.

I AM BLESSED because I live in a relatively safe environment. My modest home is well maintained and has a quality A/C system. The electricity, water, and sewer systems which make my life comfortable and safe are dependable. I live on a quiet street in a quiet town. It is safe to walk in the park or down to the post office day or night.

I AM BLESSED because my car is mechanically dependable. I have money to keep it maintained and to buy gas. I am within a few miles of shopping, health services, and entertainment.

I AM BLESSED because I have Christian friends.

I AM BLESSED because my parents loved me and my brothers are great guys. Our families love each other. What a gift that we all get along.

I AM BLESSED because I have a loving husband who is not only concerned about my physical safety but also concerned about my mental health and spiritual growth.

I was feeling hurt, frustrated—held down--until I started this list. Where do I stop with this list of blessings? When I think I am about to write down the last item, four more pop into my mind. God has been exceedingly merciful to me.

So how can I not follow this command given in 1 Thessalonians?

“Be joyful always…give thanks in all circumstances, for this is God's will for you in Christ Jesus.” 1 Thessalonians 5:16, 18 NIV

Lord, I cannot list or even remember all the ways and times you have blessed me. Thank you. Make me your willing and humble servant.

No comments:

Post a Comment