Sunday, July 11, 2010

Superficial Religion

I have been reading Isaiah this summer. It is my goal to get through it two times. Isaiah is a book I have read through several times but did not understand. Because we will be studying it in BSF this winter, I wanted to get over my fear of the book. So with two commentaries in hand, I started the process of gaining some insight into this prophet’s teachings. My practice is to read a chapter, think about it, and then to read the commentary. Generally then I will read the whole chapter again and study specific passages. I have completed the first reading and the first commentary. It was my expectation that the second time through with the second commentary would go more quickly. WRONG. I am stuck on the first chapter.

God identified Israel as a rebellious nation and they were. What has caused me pause is the parallels to our society here in mid-USA. Phrases used to describe God’s chosen people are things like the following: rebelled against me, loaded with guilt, spurned the Holy One, persist in rebellion, meaningless offerings, evil assemblies, evil deeds, doing wrong, love bribes, and chase after gifts.

What is startling is that Israel considered itself religious just as most of us consider ourselves religious. Chapter 1 mentions a multitude of sacrifices, offerings, assemblies, meeting with God, and prayer. However this chapter very clearly states that the offerings and sacrifices mean nothing to God. It was their hearts he wanted—not their rituals. God did ordain the rituals but only as aids in their worship of him. They were never meant as an end in themselves. However, the rituals had replaced true worship. One thing is certain, not worshipping God wholeheartedly is sin. God detests sin and will justly punish the sinner.

“I will punish the world for its evil, the wicked for their sins. I will put an end to the arrogance of the haughty and will humble the pride of the ruthless.” Isaiah 13:11 NIV

So how much of God’s discipline is necessary for us as a society to understand that even we Christians often are rebelling against God Almighty? Most of the time our worship is in form only, and this is rebelling against God. He has instructed us in the first of the Ten Commandment to place him first in our lives.

So what barren religious rituals do we perform in our society, in our churches, and in our lives? Religious rituals are good if they are done from a heart-felt need to worship God. They are bad if done to impress people or to make ourselves feel moral or better than others.

What part of your religious practices are superficial actions and repulsive to God? Don’t waste your time and energy! Focus on sincerely pleasing God by placing him first in your heart, thoughts, and actions.

Lord, make me willing to worship you with my whole heart every minute of every day.

No comments:

Post a Comment