Thursday, July 8, 2010

The Way Out

"’My son, do not make light of the Lord's discipline, and do not lose heart when he rebukes you, because the Lord disciplines those he loves, and he punishes everyone he accepts as a son.’ … but God disciplines us for our good, that we may share in his holiness. No discipline seems pleasant at the time, but painful. Later on, however, it produces a harvest of righteousness and peace for those who have been trained by it. Hebrews 12:5b-6, 10b-11 NIV

God has had his heavy, but loving hand of discipline on me the past year or so. At various times God has dealt with me--and in most instances is still dealing with me--about my pride, self-direction, rebellion, anxiety, worry, material possessions, organization (lack of), priorities, career/life purpose issues, and the way I use time. To say the least, it has been a tough year of self-examination, Scripture study, meditation, and prayer. As God leads me, I will be relaying what he has and is still revealing to me in these areas of sin. Hopefully, my reflections will encourage you to examine your spiritual life. I do not mean examine your religious rituals. We all have those whether we recognize it or not—church attendance, prayer at bedtime, quiet time first thing in the morning, and so forth. But we need to regularly take inventory of the condition of our hearts.

“But rebels and sinners will both be broken, and those who forsake the Lord will perish.” Isaiah 1:28 NIV

So, we need to recognize God’s discipline for he will break our rebellious sinfulness. For those who love the Lord, his chastisement will draw us closer to him. I praise God that he loves me and gives me discipline for the purpose of eradicating my proclivity toward defiant sinfulness.

“No temptation has seized you except what is common to man. And God is faithful; he will not let you be tempted beyond what you can bear. But when you are tempted, he will also provide a way out so that you can stand up under it.” 1 Corinthians 10:13 NIV

For over six months I have known "the way out" from my current temptations to behave in a manner unattractive to God. I have recognized the manipulation and attacks orchestrated by Satan. He is a master fiddler on the strings of my emotions. Temptation to behave poorly and to say things better left unsaid have been immense. At times I have behaved rightly. At times I have been extremely ashamed of my behavior.

I have known but resisted taking “the way out” that God has revealed to me for a variety of personal and selfish reasons. At some level I knew that taking the path revealed to me was not in God’s timing yet. Monday God placed something on my husband’s heart. It was “the way out” which God had earlier revealed to me. However, I still wasn’t ready to “give in.” But after fervent prayer and reflection, I know the time is now. I have suffered long enough under this trial. God is ready to steer me in a different direction. Lessons have been learned. God has drawn me closer to him.

“Those whom I love I rebuke and discipline. So be earnest, and repent.” Revelation 3:19 NIV

Lord, thank you for being with me every step of the way through these past months of severe trial. Thank you for the suffering for it has drawn me closer to you. Thank you for clearly showing both me and my husband the door to "the way out" from my present temptations. May all my words and actions bring you glory.

No comments:

Post a Comment