Sunday, July 18, 2010

I Purposely and Defiantly Refused

At some point in my teenage years, I remember purposely and defiantly choosing to not say a prayer before I went to sleep. My parents had taught me to pray at bedtime, but I thought I was too mature to childishly say a bedtime prayer. I would go to bed and catch myself starting to say a prayer. I’d stop and force myself to not think about anything until I fell asleep. My behavior was decisive and insolent. The result was that I started to sin in other areas of my life. God allowed me to suffer the consequences of my rebellion. Many wasted years later, God drew me back to him.

What does God say about our defiant and purposeful sin? In the Old Testament Isaiah predicts the downfall of Jerusalem because of disobedient sin. The Israelites had been having a good time enjoying sinful pleasures.

“…their words and deeds are against the Lord, defying his glorious presence. The look on their faces testifies against them; they parade their sin like Sodom; they do not hide it. Woe to them! They have brought disaster upon themselves.” Isaiah 3:8b-9 NIV

Isaiah’s prophesy was fulfilled in a horrifying fashion. Jerusalem and Judah were captured. The people were exiled and forced into slavery.

Sin is always wrong even if it seems glamorous by the standards of society. It is destructive and consequences will be experienced. Sin is punished in two ways. God allows us to suffer the natural consequences of our behavior choices and our defiant arrogance of purposely sinning will be punished by God.

So why do we rebelliously sin—pride, sense of invincibility, desire to have fun, longing to fit in, insistence of “doing it my way," or resistance of being told what to do?

If you read and believe the following verse, using any of these or similar reasons to justify sinful behavior is stupid.

“His divine power has given us everything we need for life and godliness through our knowledge of him who called us by his own glory and goodness.” 2 Peter 1:3 NIV

So if God has given us everything we need for life and godliness, how am I to behave?

“For this very reason, make every effort to add to your faith goodness; and to goodness, knowledge; and to knowledge, self-control; and to self-control, perseverance; and to perseverance, godliness; and to godliness, brotherly kindness; and to brotherly kindness, love.” 2 Peter 1:5-8 NIV

This all sounds good, but I am not sure I want to put forth that much effort.

But if anyone does not have them, he is nearsighted and blind, and has forgotten that he has been cleansed from his past sins.” 2 Peter 1:9 NIV

So my lack of willingness to strive for everything mentioned in 2 Peter 1:5-8 is nearsighted and blind. It is thumbing my nose at God even though he has forgiven my past sins. It is defiantly parading my sin openly before the world.

Lord, take away my nearsighted, blind attitudes. Make my behaviors such that they glorify you and are a testimony to others about your goodness.

No comments:

Post a Comment