Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Good Fruit/Bad Fruit

He did it again. Just when I was beginning to feel a bit comfortable in my Christain life, God shook it up. I have loved and hated my study of Isaiah this summer. To discover the richness of God’s Word as given in this book has been pure pleasure. However, I dislike the way my study of Isaiah has made me face my sin. I know sanctification is a lifelong process, but I was hoping the most difficult and painful aspects of dealing with my sin were over. It is not to be. Chapter 5 presents six areas of sin for which God will punish even his chosen people.

Woe to you who add house to house and join field to field till no space is left and you live alone in the land.” Isaiah 5:8 NIV

We idolize wealth and living an affluent life. Isn’t that the American dream? However, that is not God’s desire for us. Nowhere do I find evidence in the Bible that it is wrong to have wealth. What is wrong is our attitudes towards gaining wealth and using the assets we have. This verse is denouncing accumulation of possessions at the expense of others. It is the attitude of getting mine before someone else gets it. It is the attitude of manipulating the deal so that I get what I want no matter how it affects others or if it is fair to others.

Woe to those who rise early in the morning to run after their drinks, who stay up late at night till they are inflamed with wine.” Isaiah 5:11 NIV

Drunkenness, partying excessively, and seeking pleasure for the sake of the experience do not honor God. Don’t get the idea that God is a “party pooper.” He is not. God wants us to enjoy life through him.

“… put their hope in God, who richly provides us with everything for our enjoyment.” 1 Timothy 6:17 NIV

Woe to those who draw sin along with cords of deceit, and wickedness as with cart ropes, to those who say, ‘Let God hurry, let him hasten his work so we may see it. Let it approach, let the plan of the Holy One of Israel come, so we may know it.’" Isaiah 5:18-19 NIV

Those who taunt God by being defiant and deeply engrossed in their sin can expect retribution from God.

Woe to those who call evil good and good evil, who put darkness for light and light for darkness, who put bitter for sweet and sweet for bitter.” Isaiah 5:20 NIV

Everything is shades of gray for some because they have become confused about what is good and evil. Their moral standards are blurry and confused. They have made excuses for their actions so long that they no longer are able to distinguish right from wrong.

Woe to those who are wise in their own eyes and clever in their own sight. Isaiah 5:21 NIV

Conceit is sin.

Woe to those who are heroes at drinking wine and champions at mixing drinks, who acquit the guilty for a bribe, but deny justice to the innocent…for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel. Isaiah 5:22-23, 224b NIV

It is not enough to know what the Bible says, we must live by what is says. Sin has consequences.

So God expects justice and righteousness from us. He expects us to produce good fruit and will discipline us if we do not. Allowing sin into our lives blinds us to it so we can no longer distinguish good from evil.

“For this very reason, make every effort to add to your faith goodness; and to goodness, knowledge; and to knowledge, self-control; and to self-control, perseverance; and to perseverance, godliness; and to godliness, brotherly kindness; and to brotherly kindness, love. For if you possess these qualities in increasing measure, they will keep you from being ineffective and unproductive in your knowledge of our Lord Jesus Christ.” 2 Peter 1:5-8 NIV

Lord, make me aware of areas of sin in my life. Show me where I am rationalizing my behavior. Through the power of the Holy Spirit, give me the strength to eradicate those gray areas so they may become white as snow.

No comments:

Post a Comment