Friday, July 2, 2010

Controlling

If I had control of the behavior of other people, I’d have everyone straightened out. Their lives would be productive, fun, and enriching to those around them. They would do what is right at the right time to make me, my family, and my friends feel useful and affirmed. The people around me would always be positive and would always agree with me. All would be peaceful and loving. My life would be perfect.

This is what ran through my head at one point today. I was frustrated with some of the people in my life. Do I really want control of them? NO!!! But for a few minutes I about convinced myself that I did. I’d make a mess of their lives if I had control. I have a hard enough time keeping myself in line and keeping track of my responsibilities and schedule. However, take note. God has commanded us to treat others as we want to be treated.

“Do to others as you would have them do to you.” Luke 6:31 NIV

This verse does not say I am to control others. It says I am to treat others as I want them to treat me. Big difference. My temporary desire to control others shows how full of sin I am. I am self-directed, self-glorifying, and self-oriented when I should be God-directed, God-glorifying, and God oriented.

So how can I keep my attitude on the “God track?” Simple answer—study the Bible, meditate on and memorize scripture, and pray. Tonight I am not just praying the normal stuff, but I am praying that God will mold me into a person who will influence others because I am doing what God desires and not trying to control them to meet my wants.

“For we are taking pains to do what is right, not only in the eyes of the Lord but also in the eyes of men.” 2 Corinthians 8:21 NIV

God has created me and you. He creates each of us to be unique. Who am I to try to remake one of God’s creatures into my creation? God will do the work of molding the lives of others through the work of the Holy Spirit. My only responsibility is to follow his directions.

"...Does the clay say to him who forms it, 'What are you making?' or 'Your work has no handles'?" Isaiah 45:9b ESV

God will use my "right" actions to serve his purposes.

“ Yet, O Lord, you are our Father. We are the clay, you are the potter; we are all the work of your hand.” Isaiah 64:8 NIV

Lord, make me clearly understand that you create and shape each one of us. I am only responsible to follow your commands. You will do the work of convicting and molding others. Thank you, Lord, for being in control so I do not have to concern myself with it.

No comments:

Post a Comment