Monday, July 5, 2010

Rebelling

God is concerned about how we live the normal days of our lives.

“Take your evil deeds out of my sight! Stop doing wrong, learn to do right!” Isaiah 1:16b-17a NIV

“’If you are willing and obedient, you will eat the best from the land; but if you resist and rebel, you will be devoured by the sword.’ For the mouth of the Lord has spoken.” Isaiah 1:19-20 NIV

“But rebels and sinners will both be broken, and those who forsake the Lord will perish.” Isaiah 1:28 NIV

In Isaiah 1, God is asking why his rebellious people do not turn to him after they have experienced his discipline for their rebellion.

So, why don’t we?

I have stopped to examine what has been happening in my life. A difficult situation in my life just will not go away or get better. It gets some better just to become devastating again. By now I recognize the pattern. I become comfortable in my behavior, I become confident in my ability to handle a situation, and I proceed in my own power. Sometimes I may pray about it after I have decided what I am going to do for the purpose of convincing myself that my self-direction will have God’s blessing. But God will not be manipulated. He punishes my lack of reliance on him. I have experienced God’s loving but painful discipline. God has been right in his discipline of me.

Lord, teach me your way of doing right.

No comments:

Post a Comment