Monday, July 5, 2010

I Do Not Like This

June 23 was a difficult day. June had been going okay until then. On that day, it seemed I was being attacked from all sides. Two family members at various points were more difficult than usual. Nothing big happened, but some differences of viewpoints were a bit challenging. A minor financial issue had to be settled. A friend started a friendly visit then before the evening was over had inflicted emotional pain because of thoughtless and selfish behavior. The next few days went by normally, well with the exception of a couple of minor painfully insensitive shots from the same friend. Then came the major painful thrust, and I realized that I could not fix the relationship issue with the friend even though humanly I wanted to work a miracle.

I came to realize the friend issue was a powerful distraction put into my path by Satan. I had to get some emotional distance so I will not have the negative distraction of irrational friendship problems which emotionally drain me. I am too vulnerable and weak to be able to be of service to anyone when I am focusing on the negative elements of a relationship.

Does giving up on a relationship demonstrate lack of faith? Can’t God fix everything? Aren't I to treat others as I want them to treat me? If separating myself from a difficult person does not demonstrate a lack of faith, then God must be refocusing my priorities. If my actions are a lack of faith, then why does God use such emotionally painful means? Is my need to distance myself from a person wrong?

So what can I glean from Scripture to aide me in knowing how to handle the current set of circumstances?

“… for I have learned to be content whatever the circumstances. I have learned the secret of being content in any and every situation…” Philippians 4:11b, 12b NIV

“give thanks in all circumstances, for this is God's will for you in Christ Jesus.” 1 Thessalonians 5:18 NIV

“No temptation has seized you except what is common to man. And God is faithful; he will not let you be tempted beyond what you can bear. But when you are tempted, he will also provide a way out so that you can stand up under it.” 1 Corinthians 10:13 NIV

Might it be that I haven’t been paying attention to the signs God has been placing in my path? I have recognized no signs. Right now I have no answers. I pray God will reveal his will to me.

I need to get emotionally level quickly so my husband will be willing to take the trip to Branson this week. He needs this rest and relaxation trip to recoup from the intensely stressful past six weeks of dealing with his mother’s health issues. He has been so caring, emotionally strong, and gentle. He needs time to recuperate emotionally.

God has given me my mother-in-law, mother, nieces and great-niece on which to focus my attention. He has given me this blog to write. And he has given me an amazing husband to nurture and cherish. I do not have time or energy to focus on a negative relationship.

Lord, keep me focused on you. Make me readily aware of Satan’s manipulation and attacks. Give me strength and wisdom to withstand being sucked into his traps.

No comments:

Post a Comment