Saturday, July 17, 2010

Preach It Brother

I do not normally talk about television shows or personalities mainly because I spend very little time sitting in front of the TV. In the past month I have watched more television than in the three preceding years. Since my mother-in-law came to live with us, television is on each evening from 6:30 until she goes to bed. She watches her favorite show “Wheel of Fortune” with Ray then I spend the rest of the evening with her in the living room. Generally we watch Fox News programming. Tonight I was astounded by the Glen Beck show.

Glen Beck generally leads me to examine my thinking about government and contemporary issues. This is good. However, tonight it was all I could do to not jump up and yell “Preach it, brother and sister.” Rev Stephen Broden and Dr. Alveda King were the featured guests. They presented the Christian position articulately, truthfully, biblically, and with dignified sensitivity.

These two very coherent people stated that the radical extremists are sowing discontent and promoting moral confusion. The tactic of the extremist is to divide—not to promote anything good or unifying. Dr. King and Rev. Broden repeatedly promoted individual responsibility. Individuals must act on sound principles of love as taught in the Bible. Care for those who are suffering was encouraged but forced redistribution of wealth was stated as not being an acceptable practice.

“He also said, ‘This is what the kingdom of God is like. A man scatters seed on the ground. Night and day, whether he sleeps or gets up, the seed sprouts and grows, though he does not know how. All by itself the soil produces grain — first the stalk, then the head, then the full kernel in the head. As soon as the grain is ripe, he puts the sickle to it, because the harvest has come." Mark 4:26-29 NIV

The Glen Beck Show this evening sowed seed. God will provide all that the seed needs to produce a boutiful harvest.

So, are you willing to bravely witness to those you encounter in your daily life for that is the field where God has placed you.

Lord, thank you for encouraging me through the brave and truthful witness of these two persons you have placed in leadership roles on the national level. Show me who you want me to witness to each day. Give me the words, timing, and attitude that will bring you glory.

No comments:

Post a Comment