Tuesday, July 13, 2010

An African Proverb

Why has God allowed the recent hurts and irrational relationship issues in my life? Don’t I study my Bible daily? Don’t I volunteer at church? Don’t I pray fairly frequently? Don’t I occasionally witness about my faith? Aren’t I generally a good person? Shouldn’t God make my life go smoothly?

An African proverb: Smooth seas do not make skillful sailors.
Could this proverb actually be teaching a biblical truth?

The Bible does not teach that the Christian will have a perfect life. Quite the opposite. God has told us that he will purposely allow trials in our lives.

“… you have been grieved by various trials, so that the tested genuineness of your faith...may be found to result in praise and glory and honor at the revelation of Jesus Christ. 1 Peter 1:6b-7 ESV

So what will be the condition of my heart if my faith is genuine? Will I complain if God sees fit to allow someone to treat me in an unpleasant and unfair manner? Unfortunately, grumbling in my heart and occassionally verbally is what I have been doing. But I have been wrong. God clearly instructs us to not grumble. No exceptions. Just don’t do it.

"’Stop grumbling among yourselves,’ Jesus answered.” John 6:43 NIV

“ Offer hospitality to one another without grumbling.” 1 Peter 4:9 NIV

I bring up the sin of grumbling because it is one which I battle. It is one I detest because I recognize that critical, self-centered words demonstrate a critical, self-centered heart. My words display my heart condition. God is convicting me. He is not going to take sides in my relationship difficulties. Instead he wants to mold my heart and to be glorified in all situations. If I choose to praise God in the midst of my troubles, that is my demonstration of surrender to God. He will then mold me and use me to his glory. Praise is our invitation for God to take over in our lives.


“Consider it pure joy, my brothers, whenever you face trials of many kinds, because you know that the testing of your faith develops perseverance. Perseverance must finish its work so that you may be mature and complete, not lacking anything.” James 1:2-4 NIV

Lord, create in me a sense of joy when you allow a trial in my life. Show me your will in the midst of the trial so that my faith will grow and you will be glorified.

No comments:

Post a Comment