Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Simple Pleasures

My summer plans have been obliterated. Ray and I have only had the opportunity to have one afternoon by ourselves away from home—one time dining out to celebrate my birthday. Today we had another very special time away from home. We spent a glorious day with our great-niece in honor of her upcoming tenth birthday.

It wasn’t what we did. It was the unrushed, relaxed time together. We moseyed through the zoo watching the animals acting like animals. We laughed at the orangutan on the other side of the glass eyeing my camera as I changed the battery. We snacked as we watched two gorillas play shoving games, turn somersaults, and play tag around a tree. Because we were tired of walking, we took the boat tour of the waterway which we pretended was the Nile.

Conversing and laughing as we worked the children’s sheet with a blue crayon at the restaurant was more fun than eating the food we ordered for lunch. After consuming a Braum's ice cream cone, a trip through the grocery store became an interactive adventure.

“Shout with joy to God, all the earth! Sing the glory of his name; make his praise glorious!” Psalm 66:1-2 NIV

God created us to enjoy relationships. He provided us the ability to take delight in the simple pleasure of spending time with someone we love.

“Come and see what God has done, how awesome his works in man's behalf.” Psalm 66:5 NIV

Today I needed to relax, have fun, and to feel loved. God graciously granted me all these and more.

“Come and listen, all you who fear God; let me tell you what he has done for me.” Psalm 66:16

So we are not only to praise God for everything including the simple pleasures in life, but we are to also tell others about God’s goodness to us. We are not to brag for that is prideful and self-seeking. But we are to give God credit for what he does. Today, God was exceedingly good to me. He made sure my emotional bucket was full of love and joy.

Lord, thank you for the pleasure you allowed me to experience today. Forgive me when I do not give you credit for my blessings.

1 comment:

  1. Happy Birthday Taylor (if you're reading this). You should know that you - God's creation - bring great joy to those around you.

    Lorna

    ReplyDelete