Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Promise of Significance

One of the things I have finally understood about myself is that much of what I have done is to seek significance. It seems to be a driving force. I want to know that I am important and what I have done has had a lasting value.

The ways I have gone about seeking significance have been counterproductive at times and at times they have produced the desired results. But even when my efforts for importance were successful, I was too quickly left with an empty hollowness. Success by this world’s standards is not permanent and so much can happen to mar the warm feelings. Why do I spend so much time and effort on the world’s idea of success?

"I am the vine; you are the branches. If a man remains in me and I in him, he will bear much fruit; apart from me you can do nothing.” John 15:5 NIV

So all my efforts to make a mark for myself in my community were a waste of time. My focus should have been remaining in Jesus. But what does that mean?

"As the Father has loved me, so have I loved you. Now remain in my love. If you obey my commands, you will remain in my love, just as I have obeyed my Father's commands and remain in his love. I have told you this so that my joy may be in you and that your joy may be complete. John 15:9-11 NIV

So I must obey Jesus’ commands. That sounds easy. After all, I am a good person.

“My command is this: Love each other as I have loved you.” John 15:12 NIV

Whoa! That is asking a lot. It will take much time and energy to love as Jesus loves. I'll have to give up some of my personal desires, wants, and resources. As a matter of fact, I am unwilling to do it and cannot do it without the power of the Holy Spirit working in me. Is it worth the effort?

“This is to my Father's glory, that you bear much fruit, showing yourselves to be my disciples.” John 15:8 NIV

So if I love others as Jesus loves I can have an eternal significance. Isn’t that much better than the fleeting, hollow recognition this world gives?

Lord, keep me focused on you. Show me how to love even the unlovable. Make me a selfless servant for your glory.

No comments:

Post a Comment