Monday, August 30, 2010

Fruit Bearing

We Christians hear so much about bearing fruit. But what does that mean? Paul in his letter to the believers at Philippi exhorts them to be filled with the fruit of righteousness.

“so that you may be...filled with the fruit of righteousness that comes through Jesus Christ — to the glory and praise of God.” Philippians 1:10a, 11 NIV

So we are to be filled with the fruit of righteousness as part of our worship of God. But what is the fruit of righteousness?

“But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, and self-control.” Galatians 5:22-23a NIV

What a wonderful list of traits. I can claim some of them most of the time, but patience and self-control are issues. I’d like to have these traits, but my sin nature defeats me. I will be doing fine when something triggers my sinful tendency and self-control is gone. I wish I would say as Jesus did in Matthew 16:23, “Get behind me, Satan.” But I do not. I just lose it.

I am saved and have the Holy Spirit living in my heart. I do not want to sin. So why do I? The answer lies in the fact that I am still an earthly resident. Yes God saved me for eternity, but I still have my flesh. My flesh nature wants to look good to others and wants to be indulged. When something or someone, through Satan’s nudging, prevents me from getting what I want, I lose control. It is a frustrating battle that seems impossible to win. What can I do?

"I am the true vine, and my Father is the gardener…Remain in me, and I will remain in you. No branch can bear fruit by itself; it must remain in the vine. Neither can you bear fruit unless you remain in me.” John 15:1, 4 NIV

So, if I want to bear the fruit of righteousness, I must seek Jesus. Jesus must become my constant companion. I must learn about him in His Word and talk with him often in prayer.

The hymn Take My Life and Let It Be is an effective prayer for seeking Jesus.

LORD,
Take my life, and let it be
Consecrated, Lord, to Thee;
Take my moments and my days,
Let them flow in ceaseless praise.
Let them flow in ceaseless praise.

Take my will, and make it Thine,
It shall be no longer mine;
Take my heart, it is Thine own,
It shall be Thy royal throne.
It shall be Thy royal throne.

No comments:

Post a Comment