Friday, August 27, 2010

Taking My Advice

Today I had the opportunity to talk with two different ladies about their walks with Christ. God brought specific, appropriate verses to mind to use with them. The first lady and I had talked last night, and I had encouraged her to keep the verses in front of her because of a challenging situation she faced today. The second lady had a very different situation, and I gave her a couple of verses and encouraged her to memorize them so they would be available to her whenever the instructions in the verses were needed. The conversations even though they were very different both ended with the same advice. It will not be easy, nor will you perfectly execute the new appropriate behavior immediately, but just do it. Make the behavioral and attitudinal change.

“Do not merely listen to the word, and so deceive yourselves. Do what it says.” James 1:22 NIV

Now this is the rub. When God gives me a mission to accomplish (This time it was to help friends with difficult situations.), God grabs me and tells me to look at myself. Am I REALLY following the advice I give. My immediate response is to say yes. And that is not a fib. Generally God has put me through a training session before he gives me someone to mentor or advise. The training has often been unpleasant or difficult so I can empathize, encourage, and instruct.

Most of the time I am fairly successful at making changes when I clearly understand what is needed. However, I have recently stumbled, progressed, failed, and tried again over a timeframe of months to resolve a set of behavioral issues God was directing me to modify. I knew what I was to do, but my selfish emotions would take control. At times I knew I was doing exactly what God wanted the way he wanted. But too often I did not. I sinned. In the midst of it all, God gave me verses to guide me.

“Cast all your anxiety on him because he cares for you.” 1 Peter 5:7 NIV

This verse sustained me.

“What, then, shall we say in response to this? If God is for us, who can be against us? He who did not spare his own Son, but gave him up for us all — how will he not also, along with him, graciously give us all things?” Romans 8:31-32 NIV

These verses gave me comfort.

“Be self-controlled and alert. Your enemy the devil prowls around like a roaring lion looking for someone to devour. Resist him, standing firm in the faith, because you know that your brothers throughout the world are undergoing the same kind of sufferings.” 1 Peter 5:8-9 NIV

But it was these verses which were most helpful to me. I realized that I was not in a struggle with another person. I was in a situation which was being masterfully manipulated by Satan, and he was winning. He is powerful, sneaky, and vicious.

“Submit yourselves, then, to God. Resist the devil, and he will flee from you. Come near to God and he will come near to you.” James 4:7-8a NIV

Once I realized that it was the devil I was battling, I dove into scripture and prayer. I worked on Bible memory. I listened to podcasts by my favorite ministers. I read trusted spiritual authors on selected topics. And God changed my heart. Then and only then did I make progress. I recognized Satan’s manipulation. Through the power of the Holy Spirit my behaviors started to change, and I then gained relief from the emotional turmoil.

So, when facing trials of any kind, draw near to God. It is the only way to gain peace—the peace that only God can give during the midst of life’s challenges.

Lord, thank you for drawing near to me. May the two ladies I talked with today recognize and act on the fact that you are the only way.

No comments:

Post a Comment