Sunday, August 15, 2010

Live How?

“Be very careful, then, how you live — not as unwise but as wise, making the most of every opportunity, because the days are evil.” Eph 5:15-16 NIV

How to I make the most of every opportunity?

“Therefore do not be foolish, but understand what the Lord's will is. Do not get drunk on wine, which leads to debauchery. Instead, be filled with the Spirit.” Ephesians 5:17-18 NIV

So I have to read and meditate on God’s Word and not get drunk. But what does it mean to be filled with the Spirit?

“Those who live according to the sinful nature have their minds set on what that nature desires; but those who live in accordance with the Spirit have their minds set on what the Spirit desires.” Romans 8:5 NIV

“So I say, live by the Spirit, and you will not gratify the desires of the sinful nature.” Galatians 5:16 NIV

“But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self-control. Against such things there is no law.” Galatians 5:22-23 NIV

So if I am making the most of every opportunity, I will not live my life engaged in satisfying my sinful nature but instead I will cultivate love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, and self-control. Of these the hardest for me is self-control. Satan knows this and sets traps for my sin nature to be drawn out. If I am tired or stressed or just not vigilant, the lack of self-control will take over to wreck havoc in my life and in the lives of those around me. How I long for the ability to direct my energies in a way that always will be pleasing to God.

“Those who live according to the sinful nature have their minds set on what that nature desires; but those who live in accordance with the Spirit have their minds set on what the Spirit desires.” Romans 8:5 NIV

Lord, through the power of the Holy Spirit grant me self-control.

No comments:

Post a Comment