Sunday, August 8, 2010

Fixer Upper

When my husband and I bought our first house, we bought a fixer-upper. In other words, we had no money and only a few dollars in savings for a down payment. But we were young and positive we could make that little two bedroom house with a floor furnace into a mansion. We worked hard to make improvements. It is a good thing that we had very little extra cash for we used what we had to make that house ours. It took a while, but we eventually realized that putting any more money into the house was financially irresponsible. We sold that little house and with the profits made a nice down payment for an upgrade in housing.

I challenge you to take inventory of your spiritual condition. Are you a fixer-upper? Are there some areas of your life that need fixing? Are you reading the Bible? Praying? Controlling your tongue? Being a Christian servant? What needs fixed in your walk with Jesus?

“He who is full loathes honey, but to the hungry even what is bitter tastes sweet.” Proverbs 27:7 NIV

Are you full of yourself? Or are you hungry for the truth about your sin?

"I gain understanding from your precepts; therefore I hate every wrong path. Your word is a lamp to my feet and a light for my path.” Psalm 119:104-105 NIV

Do you hate your sin? Is God’s Word what you turn to when you need to know what is right and what is wrong? Does Biblical truth guide your life?

So how much time and effort are you willing to put into fixing your sins? Are you willing to put all your resources and efforts into following God’s commands? Are you putting any effort into preparing for your eternal life housing upgrade when God calls you to Heaven.

“His divine power has given us everything we need for life and godliness through our knowledge of him who called us by his own glory and goodness.” 2 Peter 1:3 NIV

Lord, show me my sin. Through the power of the Holy Spirit, give me the wisdom and ability to fix it.

No comments:

Post a Comment