Monday, August 23, 2010

Pride = Evil

Pride. Have you ever thought about how insidious it is? If you are like me, you dislike pride in others but excuse it or do not recognize it in yourself. I tend to think of pride as a sin but a somewhat harmless sin. It is not one of the big sins. The word “pride” is not mentioned in the Ten Commandments.

Over the past year, I have been encountering chapters in books and passages in other Christian literature addressing the sin of pride. Preachers on the radio and the pod casts to which I subscribe have been touching on the topic of pride. I have recognized areas of pride in my attitudes and behaviors. Through prayer and Scripture memory I have tried to weaken the cords of pride wrapped around my personality. This evening I was reading a Bible passage as part of my daily devotion time. Once again I encountered the topic of pride. Just maybe God is trying to get me to understand the seriousness of this sin.

“To fear the Lord is to hate evil; I hate pride and arrogance, evil behavior and perverse speech.” Proverbs 8:13 NIV

After saying the Lord hates evil, the first example of evil given is pride! Yes, pride causes people to be insensitive to the needs of others. Yes, pride keeps us from being servants to all. Yes, pride is the reason we do not associate with those we consider to be socially or financially below us. But according to Psalm 10:4, it is a serious sin for another reason.

“In his pride the wicked does not seek him; in all his thoughts there is no room for God.” Psalm 10:4 NIV

So pride is a barrier to God. Pride keeps us from God because through our pride we are making ourselves more important than God. We are setting ourselves up as our own personal god—doing as we please, when we please and expecting everyone else to show us respect. We are looking out for "Numero Uno."

“Pride only breeds quarrels, but wisdom is found in those who take advice.” Proverbs 13:10 NIV

So pride is a cause of relationship problems. Could pride be a cause of “issues” you are having with a friend or a family member? Are you humble enough to make the necessary adjustments to restore the relationship? Are you humble enough to take yourself off the pedestal and put God back in his rightful place in your life?

“When pride comes, then comes disgrace, but with humility comes wisdom.” Proverbs 11:2 NIV

Lord, through the power of the Holy Spirit make me humble.

1 comment:

  1. Once again brilliant!!! So true! I wish everyone in the world could read this. Pride is an ugly sin.

    ReplyDelete